The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Watchful Goby
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks,

I'm in the market for a new RO/DI system. I'm in Canada, and it seems all the good RO/DI folks want to charge an arm-and-a-leg to ship the system to Canada. BUT! I found a Canadian dealer, who is offering a sort of neat 'build-your-own' system. Basically, just a customizable RO/DI unit. Unfortunately, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Here's the website

I'll be using a standard kitchen sink tap as the source (not sure which option this is). I only have a 20 gallon tank, so 50GPD is fine. Pre-filters, inline filters, boosters and tanks are all lost on me. Totally unsure of the optional accessories.

Does anyone mind going through this 'build-your-own' thing and letting me know which options are worthwhile?

edit: or I just might go with this one because it's only $20 more than the base build-your-own model, and seems pretty beefy.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm not part of the RO/DI crowd, so I am going to be useless on the technical side, but on the DIY side, look to ones that you like online and then just choose the BYO options on this product that emulate it. $20 extra for peace-of-mind is an excellent deal.

·
Watchful Goby
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you looked at spectrapure they have a refurbished unit 90 ghd for $130 they are gold standard quality

http://spectrapure.com/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System
I have looked at SpectraPure. I am, however, in Canada. They charge an arm-and-a-leg to ship to Canada, and that's before any unknown border tariffs that may or may not exist. I can drive to the company I linked to above, saving all sorts of shipping costs.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
There are several things about the Max systems that leave a lot to be desired. For one, even on their reef systems they include a worthless GAC carbon filter that will be exhausted in about 60 treated gallons of water. They do not say whose RO membranes they use or the part numbers which concerns me as there are many clones that are not worth spending money on. Nex they use little horizontal tubes for DI filters which are very inefficient since water is allowed to short circuit or channel around the resin taking the path of least resistance.

You get what you pay for and this vendor would not be my choice. You could always upgrade one of their systems but the cost will exceed the cost of a better system including shipping.

Look for a one micron or less sediment filter, a single one micron or less carbon block and a 75 GPD Dow Filmtec, 90 GPD Spectrapure High Rejection Rate (they start out as a 75 GPD Dow Filmtec then are specially treated and tested to increase their GPD and efficiency) or a GE Water 100 GPD RO membrane. Not a Dow Filmtec 100 GPD or anything else. Also look for a full size 20 oz vertical refillable DI filter, not a horizontal or throw away non refillable and an inline pressure gauge. Pass on things like flush kits, GAC carbon filters, UV etc.

I am not a big fan but AquaSafe Canada is probably a better choice than Max or you may find one of the better reef quality systems through Big Al's Pet Supply Canada.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.