The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel bad about jacking everyone elses threads about their tanks with my questions so here is my own.

I am currently in the process of taking down my 65 gallon tank that has been up and running for about 3 years. I recently moved, and decided that while I am finishing the basement in my new house that it is the perfect opportunity to build the tank into the wall. I have always been a fan of the living photo look with some oak trim like a picture frame around the tank, and that is what I intend on doing.
Right now the specs that are decided on are the 65 gallon AGA tank with two 1.5" bulkheads in the top-back corners.
There will be a "coast to coast" surface skimmer of black acrylic the length of the back feeding into the bulkheads. I have a 20gallon tank that is going to become the sump/fuge with three chambers. I have not decided on a skimmer yet, but I hope to do something external of the 20 so there is more room for the fuge. The fuge light will probably be the NO 18" 2 bulb flourescent that used to be on the 20. The return pump will probably be a Mag 7 or 9.
I have seen the light on the CLS that Smeese and Ike were mentioning to me. That will be a Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC pump, with a 1" line to feed it and a 1" line that splits to 2- 1/2" with locline and penducators (undecided if I will need or be able to use penducators/educators).
The lighting will be 2 96w VHO for a little while until the fish tank funds get stacked up again. Then I will be looking at 4- 39w T5's. This will be a softie/LPS tank, so I don't want to deal with the heat of MH's.

That's all I can think of now, but I would like as much input as I can get. All of you have help a great deal getting me planned out this far, and the more info I get the more it helps me build an awesome tank. :thumbup:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I almost forgot the couple pics that I have for now.

Here is where the tank will go.

Here is what a mess it looked like before I took it down this weekend.

By the way I am a DIY kind of guy.
My motto is "Why pay someone when I can do it half as good for twice as much money?"

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first question for anyone who actually reads this far is, on a closed loop system does the line that feeds from the tank to the pump need to be drilled into the tank? By that I mean does it really matter where it is besides under the water level that will be maintained even if the sump is not running to fill the overflows?

By the way if anyone wants a stand for a 65/58, oak finished pine I would trade toward a good skimmer or maybe some frags.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
"Why pay someone when I can do it half as good for twice as much money?":lol: :lol: Oh So True!

·
Registered
384 Posts
are you going to paint all that wood or something for moisture protection? or vent it or something?

you can do a completely over the back closed loop with no drilling...ghetto, but possible

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My house has an air exchanger in it and I will be running a duct in the fish closet. There will be a humidistat to turn the air ex on when it gets too damp. Most of the walls will be covered with sheet rock, and painted with Kilz to prevent the moisture from getting into it. Anything not covered with sheet rock will also be painted.
My tank is at the glass place getting drilled right now, I guess the main question is should I call and get another hole drilled in it before I pick it up? And if so where is a good place to put it?

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
yes, get another hole, and you can put it anywhere you want. Mine is halfway down on the end opposite the big overflow box. I too have the coast to coast style overflow. The placement of the hole is personal preference as long as the tank can not drain to the hole.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright another hole it is. I don't want to pick the tank up in the rain like it is today anyway.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What size bulkhead should I use for the CLS? Should the input and output to the pump be the same size?

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I would do 1 1/2, and you can just taper it down to 1" if that is what the inlet is. This way if you ever decide to upgrade, your hole is big enough.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
since I already have two 1.5" bulkhead holes in the back should I maybe only use one for the sump and use the other as the CLS? Then do an almost coast to coast surface skimmer for the sump?

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
If you are using a 1 1/2 inch output pump on a 65 ever, you might want to consider a bigger tank ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I am building my own overflow box, and it is going to be designed so that one feeds the closed loop and the other is for the sump. I will try to find a way to post the drawing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:
The overflow is getting cut this weekend, and I hope to install it on monday. I just finished painting the back of the tank, and most of the wood in the fish closet. I am hoping to have it sheetrocked and mud/paint by the middle of next week so I can start plumbing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I almost forgot about one of the funnerest parts of this whole thing.

I am going to have a 7" monochrome touchscreen with a PLC to control the whole works. Hehehehehehehe

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Latest update:

I don't like it in the wall. It looks great from the front, but is impossible to do anything with from the back.

IT IS COMING OUT!

I am going to put it in front of the hole in the wall and have all of the plumbing in the fish room. This way I can have MH's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts