The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a tds meter so I check alk before and after rodi to see if it is working properly. Probably a silly question but, do salt manufacturers make their salt with the intent on it being mixed with tap water or rodi water? Wouldn't the buffers or something be skewed if they were intending on one and we did the other? Should I be buffering rodi water to a certain level before salting it?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
caesura said:
...do salt manufacturers make their salt with the intent on it being mixed with tap water or rodi water?
The intent is that you use only water to mix the synthetic mixes. This will standardize the mixes to one standard rather than localized mixtures of whatever level of Calcium , etc are found in the local Mains supplies. In addition, the use of tap water introduces many items that will accumulate in your system (remember, only water leaves with evaporation, everything else stays) and condtibute to nuisance algal blooms and diatoms (silicates).

Use either real distilled water or RO/DI water to get "only water" to mix your synthetic mix.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Tom. Just thinking a puddle of water with very little or no alk would be unstable. But I guess since it is "only water" from the RODI unit it does not matter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.