The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a friend that his center glass support has come apart Soooo, what could he use to fix it what is a good glass to glass adhesive???? he said that the tank has bowed a bit to i told him to try to lower the water level and he said that has helped.
Brent.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I work in glass as a hobby (stained glass) - the only two adhesives I use to cement glass pieces together are 1) silicone adhesive like you use for an aquarium or 2) epoxy made specifically for glass. you can get both of these at Wal Mart relatively inexpensively.

HHC

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I have 2 options for you too. i had a similar issue.

first build a jig by nailing 3 small 2x4's together so that they will hold the fron and back of the tank at the correct distance. then you can re-glue the glass or take an old stiff hanger wire and coat it with silicone then drill a hole in the front and back frame and use the wire to hold it together. you may need to change the wire from time to time but it should last a while.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if it is a glass on glass connection than it can just be re-silly coned. you will want to clean both surfaces very well. it might be easier to remove the brace entirely to make sure it is entirely clean. using a brace to keep the tank from bowing is a good thing while you do this. once it is clean, just run a bead of silly cone on the ends of the brace and place it back where it was. clamp it firmly there for at least 24 hours. 3 days would be better. remove the brace slowly to make sure it held and you should be good to go. you can leave the brace there at a slightly loosen possition as a just in case for the next week to be safe if it makes you feel more comfortable. this is how tanks are build.

G~

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fly Guy said:
Sorry youre getting ignored.

Is it a pane that seperated or a support going back and forth??(that is usually plastic.........)

Im confused as you say you want to attach glass to glass.........
His is glass.
Brent.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Buy one of those quick grip vises from HD or menards. It would be easier than using wood for the jig and you can just bring it back after you get done with it. they are cheap tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts