The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting alot of bubbles forming on my rock???/what is this and will it go away???

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
air bubbles on top of the rock seems more apparent when the lights stay on for a long time???? is this normal?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
could be a bunch of things, most nothing to worry about since it is such a new tank.

1. he LR is purging out the nitrogen gas that it has produced due to the breakdown of nitrates. this will always occur, but as the tank matures the bubbles are much smaller.

2. could just be trapped air from inside the LR getting out.

3. the beginnings of cyano on the LR. in the beginning not a big deal. should go away in time. remember that 2 months of sitting on your hands. :D

G~

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
geoff its hard new tank ......new tank...new tank....lol well i added a few cleaners is that ok????

here is what i put in last night...

4 pepermint shrimp..

3 coral banded shrimp

astrea, zebra, bumble bee snails about 10 total

3 sand stars

some sally and emerald crabs...just a few cleaner for the tank im waiting a while on the corals and tanks ect.

from now on hands are tied for a while....will these be ok for now?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
for that sized tank you should be fine. one of the biggest mistakes people do in the first 6 months of setting up a tank is overloading it with cleanup crew. they keep buying cleanup crews to combat the startup algaes that occur. then when the algae dies off (due to the tank reaching equilibrium) that all of those cleanup crew critters start starving. :(

with that sized tank you could easily go with 20 of each to start on the snails. i would not get bumblebee snails though. Ceriths would be a much better choice. bumblebees are a welk. another predatory snail like Nassarius, just not very aggressive, but can be opportunistic if given the chance.

coral banded shrimp are very aggressive to eachother. hopefully they will each find an area of the tank to stake out a claim. if not than they will kill eachother for the best spot. :( your tank is big enough that if they each have thier own island or area you should be fine, but just do not be surprised if you only end up with 1 or 2.

the sand stars may starve. :( such a new tank will not have the infauna population needed to keep that many stars alive. a tank of that size will prolly only be able to support one. any more than that and the DSB will not function properly due to predation of the DSB by the star. Ceriths once again are great at sifting and keeping the detritus and algae down to a minimum on SB.

now get back on those hands. :D

G~

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
man thanks alot...you have been very helpful....im going to wait......ill keep posting pics and you geys tell me when its ready????/I have got some calcium & alkalinity test kits coming.....of cource with some additives but I wont use them If you think its a waste....but id still like to make sure the water parameters are perfect....

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Geoff said:
how will you know if the water quality is perfect if you do not have a test kit for the suppliments. :D

G~
I have a test kit for PH, NITRATES, NITRITES, AMMONIA, CALCIUM, ALKALINITY...what else do I need?????

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WHAT IS THE PURPOSED OF THEM IF I NEED THEM I'LL GET THEM????

THE HYDROMETER IS TO TEST SALINITY RIGHT??1.023 is what its reading?? is the refactormeter the same?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts