The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a strange thing happen the other day that I have never seen before and I was wondering if someone could give me a little information.

I have a small mimic tang in a quarantine tank and it has developed an air bubble in its eye. If anyone could tell me how this has happened, or what it is, I would appreciate it.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Hi jeeps and WELCOME to ARC and TRT!

Could be one of a few things - could be a bacterial infection. Could be an air embolism from when the fish was brought up from the deep if it was brought up too fast.

I'd wait and see..... it might go away on its own. I've used a syringe to draw air out of a bubble like that but "don't try that at home".

Another thing you might want to try is acetazolomide (sold as Diamox) it's a prescription drug used for Glaucoma, and ridding the body of excess fluid.

Usual protocol is 1/4 of a 250 mg tablet, per 10 g of quarantine water. I've used this with success in bacterial "gas bubble disease" in seahorses.

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, but that might help.

Jenn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info ,JennM, I'll see if I can get the little guy better. It doesn't seem to irritate him, so I will see if it goes away on its own.

One more question. Is Diamox easily aquired?

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
You can ask a veterinarin to prescribe it, or an MD -- occasionally a sympathetic pharmacist will give/sell a single tablet - but I don't encourage hitting up your local pharmacist for Rx drugs :D

It's not a narcotic or controlled substance, so it's not too difficult to aquire. I work with a couple of veterinarians if you need help - but please contact me off the board (email or PM).

Jenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.