The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Geoff, you were right on about the micro bubbles....stupid things just go with the flow, almost like they aren't boyant at all.

So now my question is this, they are pretty bad right now..my baffles go over under over under.....

I don't have alot of them, but more than I want to see in the display....so, what kind of polly are you folks using to reduce this? Where are you getting it....my tank is pretty cloudy with itsy bitsy bubbles right now...??

On an up note I have ALOT of flow from the direction those bubbles are taking!

Dave

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
those stupid bubbles just do not understand that they want to me in the air and not in the water!:D it has to do with the amount of flow we push throught our sumps. i have found that those white sponges that have huge cels make really good bubble traps. they seem to let the greatest amount of flow through them, and still trap most of the bubbles. these are called open celled sponges. they will need to be cleaned on a regular basis in order to keep them from producing nitrates.

G~

·
Administrator
47,674 Posts
No dont trust a generic for this application, too great a risk of contamination. LFS should have the large Cell sponge bricks, They are made especially to fit the Hagen/Aquaclear series of Hang on power filters. Get the biggest ones, like for the 500 or whatever they call it now, they should be at least 2x4x6 inches or so, prolly about $5 apiece but hey its reefing ;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
small price to pay to be rid of these bubbles eh?

I filled my sump a little more and that helped...I think I am going to put and elbow on the return so that its taking water from the absolute lowest point in the sump. Ill also do two pieces of that sponge in between two of the baffles, and Ill do some of the polly fill that Jay was talking about also if the sponge doesn't work.....I will not be defeated by bubbles!

Dave

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doug, Geoff,
Thanks for the help on this. The bubbles are better tonight, as I raised the level in the sump a bit, while keeping it below my "under" baffles. That helped some, and juts running all day helped some too.

I have to make a trip to the LFS this weekend to try to buy whatever "cured" rock he has left. Ill pick up some of the sponge and polly you mentioned.

Again thanks for all the quick help!

Dave

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I forgot about this little local FW LFS here in town, They had the 500 model sponges....it was way too thick for my baffles so I cut it in 1/2 length wise and was able to make it go all the way accross where I needed it. Worked like a charm thanks folks! no more bubbles!

On a down note, one of my baffles popped loose while I was messing with it, I did a temporary fix, but I will have to shut it all down and pull the sump out sometime next week!

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts