The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my bioballs out of my tricke filter tonight and now i have billions of tiny bubbles swirling aroud in my tank. i guess its from the water splashing where the balls usedto be. any suggestions?:mad:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sponge over the input works for me - I placed a sponge where the output from my extra water supply was landing in the sump.....the water is forced through the sponge and the sponge "eats" the bubbles. Just a thought....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would a sponge need to be rinsed very often, i was told that filter floss needed to be cleaned every day or two, would that be the case with a sponge on my pumps intake?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i have a wet dry. removed the bio balls some time ago.

i havea block sponge between where the water splashes in and where it flows into the compartment for the skimmer and return.

i remove that sponge block about once a month. and get no bubbles in the tank, nor any clogging of the sponge.

i havea piece of poly filter that i place in my overflow box, asa prefilter, and i remove that once a week and jsut toss it out and replace it. i'm sure that cuts down on a lot of dirt that would make it to the sponge block.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i dont use any in the drip tray. i jsut have it in my overflow box in the tank.

this way i use less, replace less (smalelr piece) and easier to replace. jsut reach in and grab it, rather than having to take the top of the wet dry off to get to it.

i jsut have the top, the drip tray, the empty chamber. then a sponge block to prevent bubbles, the nthe return chamber. that's where my heaters and skimemr are at and my return pump. i also have my skimmer output dumping into the main chamber (same as input from tank)

so any left over skimmer bubbles will get caught up by the sponge.

and, the water gets quad cleaned. goes through poly filter in overflow, then sponge, then skimmer, then sponge again. and back to tank :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.