The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help!! I bought this bubble coral at LFS about 10 days ago. I placed in on the bottom in the corner of my 75 gal mixed reef tank. There was just a small amount of flow on it, just enough to see the bubbles move. I am currently running Radion XR30w Pro G3 x 2 on an acclimation protocol from 35% to 50% over three weeks. The first 7 days it looked great. Over the last three days it started looking like it does in the picture, part of it looks great and part looks really distressed. Any thoughts or opinions? Too much or too little light? I don't see any pests. I did a 10 min Lugols dip and placed it under the shade of a large colt coral and it looks even worse today. Here are my params:
pH 8.2
SG: 1.024
Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia: 0
Phosphates: 0 (running phosban)
Ca: 400
Mg: 1170
KH: 7 dKH

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated!!

Attachments

·
zacharY
1,308 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to lower the lighting a little. How did you acclimate the coral? Drip method? Is it possible that the coral was bruised on that side of it while in transit to your house? Do you have other corals that are doing better? Do you have anything in your tank that might be eating the coral?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! I floated the bag for 1 hr, and then dripped for two. The other corals I have (elegance, acans, acro, lobo, frogspawn, other odds and ends) all seem happy. I have put it in the shadiest part of my tank for now just to see what happens. If it was injured in transit or in the tank, any suggestions on how to treat that injury? I already did a lugols dip, which is a stressor in and of itself.

Thanks for your help Yrahcaz!

·
zacharY
1,308 Posts
A lugols dip would be the only thing I can think of to treat it, but it sounds like that didn't help in this case. Unfortunately I don't have any advice to offer other than putting the coral in a shadier spot and dipping it. Best of luck!

PS. In the future you may want to float the bag for only like 10 minutes; the purpose of floating the bag first is to get the temperature of the water in the bag equal to the temperature of the tank water. This doesn't take an hour and floating it that long could potentially have bad effects (although I really doubt that this hurt your coral). Dripping it for 2 hours is good practice.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
A lugols dip would be the only thing I can think of to treat it, but it sounds like that didn't help in this case. Unfortunately I don't have any advice to offer other than putting the coral in a shadier spot and dipping it. Best of luck!

PS. In the future you may want to float the bag for only like 10 minutes; the purpose of floating the bag first is to get the temperature of the water in the bag equal to the temperature of the tank water. This doesn't take an hour and floating it that long could potentially have bad effects (although I really doubt that this hurt your coral). Dripping it for 2 hours is good practice.
Is dripping it for 2 hours really necessary? Once the PH and salinity in the bag equal that of the tank there would really be no difference between keeping it in the bag or putting it into the tank.

Something that can have an effect acclimating for 2 hours is the temperature in the bag dropping unless you have some sort of heater in it.

I usually dump most of the water from the store out of the bag then start the drip method. When it starts to fill up I dump some more water out. Within 30-45 minutes the bag water should be equal to the tank at which point I would add the coral or fish into the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts