The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question I have two bubble corals and a day after I feed them they spew on or two brown stringy goo out. The are fully inflated and look healthy with no receeding tissue on the septum. Is this how it expels waste? Has anyone seen this with their bubble corals? I have my zooanthids spew out the goo once or twice when I first got them but the haven't done this since. Is this a bad thing or is this normal?

Earl

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yes..

I'll add the qualification that it is expelling the zooxanthellae themselves. This can be a reaction to stress, one source of which may be overproduction of oxygen by burgeoning numbers of zooxanthellae.

So... if there are too many of the little brown dinoflagellates (the lighting must be pretty good for the little bugs), makes sense to ditch some of them every now and then. No biggie, most of the time. Regular, minor leakage of the brown glop is normal even in the wild during the bright summer months.

Ofcourse, there are less benign reasons for the 'zoox pukes': other sources of stress may be present. If all your params are okay, and the 'zoox pukes' isn't massive, then you're okay.

hth,
horge

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The bubbles are under 96 Watt 10000K Atinics and they look really healthy. It sounds like they are expelling waste. Cool. I have to save I love the bubbles the most they are really cool.

Earl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.