The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Bubba" the bubble coral is taking over the tank!:arg: He is growing so big that he killed a torch head (i think) being that his sweeper tenticles were really getting the torch, so I moved the remaining 3 headed torch who is now apparantly happy BUT if Bubba keeps growing he is going to eventually invade my nems happy little cave home which is located under the bubbles giant spread.
I hand feed a small amount weekly to the bubble and the nem silversides or table shrimp, my question is if I cut down Bubbas diet will he suffer?
My tank is only 9 mos old. Do you guys think he will outgrow my 28 gal.? :bawling: Any bubble owners out there want to share their feeding schedules?
Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha I wish I have that kinda growth from mine...

are you thinking about fraging it?
Thinking yes...doing is another subject. He looks hard to frag. I asked my LFS and they told me I could just "turn him in" for something else but Im attached to him already and am not just going to "turn him in" .
LFS said fragging a bubble is hard. Are they right?
How often do you feed Nate?

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
I just let my wife feed mine, its her favorite coral of mine (she calls it the butt coral)...

I fraged mine, it was really easy, hard surface + flat head screwdriver = fraged

If you have a copping saw or another small handy saw its easy to cut, the insides are mostly honey comb and not rock solid, also when you cut, cut between the mouths, and I used an exacto blade the make a clean flesh cut, before I split the skeleton.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just let my wife feed mine, its her favorite coral of mine (she calls it the butt coral)...

I fraged mine, it was really easy, hard surface + flat head screwdriver = fraged

If you have a copping saw or another small handy saw its easy to cut, the insides are mostly honey comb and not rock solid, also when you cut, cut between the mouths, and I used an exacto blade the make a clean flesh cut, before I split the skeleton.
WHOAA!!! Im going to research their anatomy for my conscious sake...it doesnt hurt them?? The process sounds crazy! But Im down ..I would like a fake one to practice on though. It sounds like surgery! !
Between the mouths?? Mine has one giant mouth like a muppet. What do you mean between? Like between the top and bottom lip?

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
WHOAA!!! Im going to research their anatomy for my conscious sake...it doesnt hurt them?? The process sounds crazy! But Im down ..I would like a fake one to practice on though. It sounds like surgery! !
Between the mouths?? Mine has one giant mouth like a muppet. What do you mean between? Like between the top and bottom lip?
my bubble had about 5 mouths before I fraged it... you can't frag a single mouth, that I know of anyways...

the green are the mouths and the red line is where I cut it...

are you sure it only has 1 mouth?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im positive it obly has one. I will post a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
how big is it?
Heres Bubba, note the approximity of the BTA on the lower side to the right.....

There is just one giant moth in there Nate.Lol, here is his muppet mouth,

Hes a real crack up, I know why he would be your wifes favorite. :D

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Personally, I would not frag that coral. I would just give it plenty of room to do what it does.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally, I would not frag that coral. I would just give it plenty of room to do what it does.
In your opinion if his sweepers go down close to the BTA will the BTA be harmed?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
In your opinion if his sweepers go down close to the BTA will the BTA be harmed?
It's highly likely. I would just rearrange things, or maybe its just time for an upgrade.:nuts:

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I was just thinking, I think I have a "wall" bubble coral, are all bubble corals "wall" style?
I've seen a few pearl bubbles (like yours) that had branching skeletons. I think my LFS has one now. I've never seen the common large bubble corals with anything but the wall skeleton.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my bubble had about 5 mouths before I fraged it... you can't frag a single mouth, that I know of anyways...

the green are the mouths and the red line is where I cut it...

are you sure it only has 1 mouth?
Wow Nate it does look like a wall, when I researched them it said they live in colonies and I saw an ocean wall covered with them....I bet the reason why they would be single like mine is just from harvesting ....don't you think?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts