The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BTA has started to split again. At one point, I had 6 BTAs in my tank (5 clones and the "mom").....

This clone is promised to Clint.......it's the first time I've actually been able to somewhat witness the split.

J.

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The MHs are off for the night.....not sure how good of a pic I can get the actinics. I had just noticed being able to see rock through the mouth and that the "skin" was stretched pretty tight on the body....and I had to run in here to post.....

Hopefully, by morning there will two and in a week or two it will be ready to go home with Clint! (and I can get some pretty zoos)....

J.

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I appreciate you holding on to them for me....but you can't rush Mother Nature.....and as much as I fed the BTA, I'm surprised it's taken this long....

I'll keep you posted.

J.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Wish mine would split! It is getting alot bigger though!;)

Attachments

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I don't "force" a split with heavy feeding, it seems to split every 6 months or so......If I push it with feeding approximately 3-4 months....

That pic looks a lot like mine. I should have the split was for sure coming when the BTA refused its feeding the other night.

J.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey latazyo! I live in Missoula, Montana!:)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I lived in Sidney for most of my life...quite a trek from missoula

well, if you have any clones available next spring, let me know, gotta let the tank get going first...
that is...if ocellaris have a chance of liking this guy

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
What is considered 'heavy feeding'??

Are we talking every day? And what do you feed? I had a small BTA clone a while ago and it seemed picky about what it ate. I wouldn't eat silver sides. Once in a while it would take shrimp. But seemed to like blender mush the best. Thanks for your help!

-Big Dave

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Dave! I feed my BTA home made blender mush about once or twice a week and sometimes not even that as the clown brings food to it alot!;)

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's 7:30 a.m. and the darn thing isn't done yet. I've never noticed the process happening before, so I really have no idea how long it takes....it used to just "happen".

I feed my BTA silversides, krill, bits of shrimp, fish, etc. It eats just about anything and everything. When I tried to push this split I fed a large amount every other day.

J.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Checked this morning mine hasn't split either!!:funny:

Attachments

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the BTA is finally serious about making the split. It has retreated into the rocks and is lengthening its shape.....the poor clowns don't know what to do.....

J.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
J. Just what signs should I be looking for to know that my BTA is splitting? Mine is getting quite large and hoping it will split!:)

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really was watching mine closely this time around. The other splits kinda took me by surprise. The base seemed to get "big." Then it refused a meal. Then, I could see rock through the mouth and it had really spread its body across the rocks. Tonight it has retreated into the rocks with just some really puffy tentacles sticking out and it appears to be lengthening---meaning an extremely exaggerated oval. This was last stage was noticed by me with the other splits that have happened.....

Other than feeding a lot and having good lighting, there isn't anything that you can do to help the process. It's been a good three weeks since I started to notice the changes in it.

HTH....

J.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I noticed tonight that I could see rock through the disc and it had stretch out quit a bit horizontally and then retreated back very small and tentacles all drawn in and the clown going nuts!!:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts