The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one! I have been working on my tank for a couple of days now, its a jbj 28 gallon hqi. I have been asking questions on other threads but I have decided to start and official build thread. Today I added the sand finally. I used some oolite. I'll be getting live rock sunday, then I'm going out of town for a few days, hopefully nothing will happen two bad. Then i come back for a day and then leave again for two weeks. Luckily my parents will be watching it for the two week trip. I'll be adding pictures as soon as I can find my camera ;)

· Premium Member
11,973 Posts
Depending on the filtration, and how badly the flow is stirring the sand bed if at all, it can take a couple of days for it to settle down.

Your best bet with you going away so much may actually be to wait on the cleaners until you get back from the 2 week vacation. First of all you want to make sure the tank has fully completed the nitrogen cycle. Then you are going to want them to have something to eat. This usually happens when you start to see the diatom bloom.

Best of luck, and I hope you find the camera before someone breaks out the squirrel on you. :)

· Registered
1,525 Posts
Yea i would wait for the Clean up Crew and just let the tank cycle and trust me you being gone is great, i know how hard it is for a new reefer to sit for weeks staring at an empty tank and they normally jump the gun to early on livestock

· Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
well you should test the water and youll see the big spike and then downfall in nitrates due to the bacteria building up, after it goes back down to zero you can slowly start adding things

· Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
haha yup sounds like a good plan. My tanks cycling right now too :D But i added some LR from my other tank which is already cycled so shortened cycle. Good luck and dont rush it!

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so every review I have read complains about heat problems with the system. My tank so far hasn't gotten above 80, although we do keep our house a little cool. So far I am very pleased with the system. No changes needed yet. I'm sure they will come though;)

· Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
I dont think thats bad, because most LFS reccomend 1.021 to around 1.023, but most people keep salinity at around 1.025-1.026

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.