The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does BRS Reef Saver rock need to be cycled like other dry rock? It says on their website

“This rock is 100% free of nuisance algae and pests which can cause complete tank shut downs and is guaranteed to be free of apitasia, bubble algae, parasitic isopods, mantis shrimp, acro eating flat worms, little red bugs, fire worms, predatory nudibranchs, pyramidellid snails and other common pests.”

So besides rinsing off in some RO Water, is there a need to cycle this?

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
Welcome and have fun.
It does not have to be cured to get rid of nutrients from dead organisms.
If you are starting a new tank the tank will need to be cycled pretty much not matter what you use. You need to grow the colony of beneficial bacteria that will act as your primary filter.
It may also have nutrients bound in it that will leach out over time as all rock harvest from the ground will. They will cause slight (usually) algae problems but regular maintenance will reduce this.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
for my system i used MarcoRocks, but any calcium carbonate based rock from a reputable place will be fine. i am a BB (Bare Bottom) person, so liked that i could get some of the rock cut flat on a side to sit firmly on the tank bottom.

G~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts