The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I think this will only affect a few folks out there but...

I have been trying to use my Kalk Reactor rather than my Ca Reactor and as a result, I have been using Bulk Reef Supply Kalk powder in my Geo reactor. It uses a Maxi-jet to circulate/mix the kalk slurry. The problem is that I just went through my THIRD maxijet impeller. All are the older Italian made MJs. The first was the MJ600 but when that went, I used a MJ1200... and then that impeller imploded. I thought it was just rubbish luck until the next MJ impeller blades broke apart. All impeller become "fin-less" after about a month of use. Each time the pump is fine but the impeller goes. I think they use much coarser grains of kalk. The BRS powder makes the pump sound like a gravel mixer (loud enough to wake my wife up in the next room over). I was using Seachem and switched to BRS due to the cost, now I got TwoLittleFishies Kalk (4lbs for $21) and a new impeller. Now with the TLF brand kalk, the pump is silent when mixing and I hope the impeller does not break (I do not think it will if I can keep that BRS kalk away). I also kept the pumps clean, vinegar bath-ed them, and there was no scouring in the magnet chamber. I think there are just very corse grains that cause the impellers to break when they get stuck but the shaft keeps spinning.

Now if you manually dose Kalk or have a stirring model, the BRS kalk might be fine but boy, it likes to eat impellers with pump circulating reactors.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Thanks for the info Doc. I have the stirrer type so I should be good.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe, but with 4lbs of the good stuff, I will just use that. The SeaChem and TLF is a lot smoother. Even after the first pump issue, I noticed the courser grade but just assumed that the larger pieces had migrated to the top. Now, with 1/3 of the BRS kalk gone, I think there are just bigger nuggets. I could use a grinder but I do not want to deal with the kalk dust more than I have to. I will just use the BRS for manual additions while keeping to good stuff for the reactor.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Doc, you should send them an email about this problem.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Why not just use Mrs. Wages? Thats what I have always used. Sorry to hear about all of the maxi jet impellers....killing one is okay....two is concerning....three sucks. Having to pull the reactor apart and put it back together that many times is annoying im sure.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Doc, you should send them an email about this problem.
No worries, I have. I just need to find that order receipt so I have a batch reference point.

Why not just use Mrs. Wages? Thats what I have always used. Sorry to hear about all of the maxi jet impellers....killing one is okay....two is concerning....three sucks. Having to pull the reactor apart and put it back together that many times is annoying im sure.
Can't find it near me. Also, I thought it was coarse as well.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but I got the good stuff for $20... and 4 lbs of it. And when I am done, I will have about a 3 liter bucket for (mini) water changes.

I might be able to find that around. DC hispanic populations is healthy but it is more Central/South America than our southern border. I would have to find the right neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
but I got the good stuff for $20... and 4 lbs of it. And when I am done, I will have about a 3 liter bucket for (mini) water changes.

I might be able to find that around. DC hispanic populations is healthy but it is more Central/South America than our southern border. I would have to find the right neighborhood.
4lbs I think would last me forever! :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts