The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brownish/red algae that is growing all over my sand and LR. My tank is about 5 months old and I have been doing water changes every 2 weeks using sw from my lfs ever since this problem started occuring about 1.5 months ago. The problem persists and at times it gets so thick that it will start stringing up in a few areas. Its only a 29 gallon tank. Does anyone know preventitive measures to reducing growth or eliminating it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I've been using the siphon when I do my water changes about every2 weeks. Unless you are talking about a different siphon method. When I do it tho, the algae is too heavy to be siphoned up so it normally just mixes it into the substrate.

·
certifiable
125 Posts
I would increase the water changes and manually remove as much of the cyano as you can. Siphon the substrate as much as possible. When I was haveing this prob I did water changes every 5 day's for a few weeks. it's alot of work and alot of water but it worked for me. But do use the link in Nate's signature I learned alot from that link.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I will increase water changes. Should I scrape up the top layer of substrate with the algae on it? Umm I don't know what kind of siphon it is.. its manual if that helps. When time warner fixes my cable ill try and figure out how to post a pic so it can be identified better. It could be flow. All I have is a 210 canister filter and the algae seems to be growing more on the opposite end. What's the easiest way to increase flow throughout the tank?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was using a micro algae feed for my corals(phosphates in a bottle) but I've completly stopped use when this problem developed. Idk what all that algae could be eating anymore.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
the phosphates that are now in the sand. the only way phosphates can be removed from our system is physically by us. the siphon is the best, while the skimmer is convenient, it does not get the big stuff that settles down to the bottom of the tank.

getting more flow in the tank will help get some of the phosphate up off of the substrate and into a skimmer or an easier to siphon area, but going after the areas with i siphon is best.

G~

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay, thanks for all of your help. I siphoned out the sand and added a blower for increased flow. I will post back in a few days. Hopefully i see improvements.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts