The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm noticing after upgrading my lights that my water does not look crystal clear. It looks like the tank has a brownish tint to it. Also I'm getting a increase in easy to remove green powder like algae. I really want crystal clear water and I want my nitrates finally down to zero!!! I test with strips and the nitrates have gone down after i added the skimmer. I would say the color of pink was cut in half. so i know the nitrates are still higher than i want but better than before. I do a 10 gallon water change every 2 weeks (the tanks a 55 gallon)
Please any suggestions
Matt

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How often should i be doing them? and what can i do to fix this situation without changing my water every week? Plus i just checked my water and as far as i know its the lowest nitrate level I've ever got. Is there something else that causes algae problems? water temp Ph anything like that?
thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
Phosphates and increased lighting will cause algae blooms. Also dissolved organics will give a yellow look that can be corrected by running high quality activated carbon.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea I totally have that yellow look going on haha I really want to get rid of that it looks terrible. Where do phosphates come from? and how do I incorporate that high quality active carbon? Like I said before I have a wet dry system and a protein skimmer
Thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
No, adding another w/d is not necessary. I would get a filter bag and fill it with Kent Reef Carbon or ROWA Carbon and dump it in the sump where water will flow over it.

Phosphates come from the breakdown of organic material.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So adding a filter bag full of active carbon will clear up my water thats awesome. Where exactly should i place the bag in the wet dry? Right where the water enters the wet dry? or under the filter pads?
Matt

·
Registered
694 Posts
It will help clean up the water. Remember my first advice was a water change. The WC will have a much more profound effect. I would just float the bag in the sump.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea i have a traditional wet dry system that has been running for a long time. I was wondering if there is a specific place to put the filter bag filled with carbon
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
It is generally believed that bio-balls are "nitrate factories" (that is the term that many articles use). Many folks remove the balls a little at a time (in thirds I think) and replace them with LR...I've never done it myself, but if you do some research I'm sure you'll find lots of info about how and why to do it. Others here may be able to give you more/better info too.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
ozone - you know the stuff that can wipe it all out not just the particles but if used wrong everything!!

bump your w/c to 20% at least until the nitrates are down - get something other than a test strip to test with too API and salifert are available locally and aren't too expensive. Put the carbon under the filter media and don't let it run more than 3 weeks. Also Ocean reef carries these PURA filter pads that are awesome I used to use them with my wet/dry and they were great.
I've seen a few BIG reef tanks with wet/dry and bioballs I think it's all in the husbandry to a certain extent. Go look at the 500g display at aquatropics or the 400 display at Ocean exotics(both in Gainesville) as well as Mikes tanks at ocean reef...it CAN be done obviously...but there are a lot of negative opinions out there (I'm just stating what my 2 eyes have seen:))

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm doing a w/c tomorrow 15 gallon which for my 55 gallon before you consider the rock displacement is about 30%. I'll see how low i can get the nitrate levels down by doing this change and then maybe a 5 gallon change next weekend. Can my bioballs be to dirty? the guy who had it before me said never wash them, He's had the tank set up for 4 years haha I'm worried that they could be nitrate factories and I'm spinning my wheels??????
Thanks for all the advice
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I have never done bio-balls so I'm only speaking from the gazillion posts/articles that I've read about them being nitrate factories. I have used the PURA pad and have had very good luck with it...I'm not big on "miracle cures" but that stuff seems pretty darn good. It has carbon and phos media in it along with other stuff...It will remove organics and also metals etc...It saved my butt when I had a little copper mishap!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts