The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
HarleyDavidson n FishyMan
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my tank is 1.5 years old. I do pretty regular weekly/bi-weekly 10% water changes. My calcium is 440 and alk is 9. Ph is 8.2 and mag is around 1440 or so. Phosphates, nitrates, ammonia, etc... are all undetectable. I scrub this stuff off and the next day it's back just as thick.

I run a GFO reactor, UV sterilizer, and chaeto in my sump.

I don't think this is diatoms, but I think it may be an algae. Maybe detritus? But coming out of the rocks? I have had the rocks in the tank since the start besides for a few added about a year ago. I noticed it first creeping out of a piece of live rock a while back and now it has spread everywhere.

What is it and how do I get rid of it?

Attachments

·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The algae is clumpy in some areas and kinda fuzzy in others. If I brush it off the rocks I have small clumps of brown floating all over the tank. I pulled my filter socks in case that might be causing phosphates and feeding it. I'm also going to reduce my feeding.

·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another photo of it showing the fuzzy (kinda like how mould looks) areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Does it have bubbles on it. I hope its not dinos ive been battling them for a while and they are very hard to deal with. I have been doing a insane amount of siphoning algea fix gfo and it hasnt hardley even budged. Something that kept mine more manageable was taking out part of the sand bed. It will smother some of your corals mostly softies.ill pray for you that its not dinos

·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah man, no bubbles. It isn't even on the sand bed either really. Or corals other than some LPS stalks and I've had it for more than a few months now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That looks like the same problem I'm having. does the water in your aquarium have a stagnant smell to it? Like a pond? I'm trying to find out if it's a cyano outbreak or dinos.

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
Not cyano, I've never had dinos but it doesn't look like other pictures I've seen of dinos. I'd say its green hair algae. Pull the rocks out and scrub scrub scrub! You should increase water changes and skimming, and you should also siphon your sandbed more.

·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not cyano, I've never had dinos but it doesn't look like other pictures I've seen of dinos. I'd say its green hair algae. Pull the rocks out and scrub scrub scrub! You should increase water changes and skimming, and you should also siphon your sandbed more.
Really? Hair algae? No. Believe me I know what hair algae is. That beast was finally beat.

I could probably do more water changes sure, but at 10% every week to two weeks, that's more than many do. I will get more on top of making sure they are weekly though. I skim rather aggressively too. And yes, I do vacuum the sand bed all the time as well.

I'm not trying to just discount what you are saying, more or less I am saying yes, I do that. That's the problem. It is still there. And it isn't hair algae.

I'll probably just leave it alone to let it run its course since it isn't interfering with the corals any.

·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I have some red turf algae but the light brown/tan stuff just doesn't seem to fit the bill. It thickens through the day into clumps of crud. I can usually blow most of it off with a baster but some of it takes a general scrub and clumps just come off and float around like... well... like scummy clumps of... scum?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I noticed you have MH lights in your sig. How old are the bulbs? I've read that old MH bulbs can have a spectrum shift that may contribute to algae growth. I have no experience with halides so I cannot actually comment to the authenticity of this.

You may want to check out this thread:

The-official-api-algaefix-thread-for-trt

I know I and several others have had positive results using this product to get rid of nuisance algae. I do caution that this is not a replacement for good husbandry, but may be worth evaluating.

·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bulbs were just changed a month or two ago over a three week period. I had it before that though. Was hoping the bulb change would help.

I have heard a lot of good things about that Algaefix. I may give it a try if nothing else works. I do have a couple spots of cyano that changing my flow up didn't get rid of so I mine as well give it a shot.

·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could it just be detritus?

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
that's definitely algae of some kind. I have it in one or two spots on my rocks that I don't blow off as regularly as I should.

how deep is your sand? it may be reaching the end of its useful life. what may be happening, especially if you notice the algae is on the lower portion of the rocks as the po4 begins to work its way from the substrait to the rocks. my tank is a year old now, and im looking at replacing my sand in January.

as for the chaeto, if its not growing, its probably dying and releasing bound nutrients back into the water. even healthy, growing chaeto is releasing nutrients.

·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope the sand bed isn't near it's end. I vacuum it like crazy. The chaeto still has that dark green color to it and it's probably too early to tell if it's growing or not but I've had this brown stuff way before I put chaeto in the sump.

·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I'm gonna scrub the rocks as much as I can, do a series of large water changes, and vacuum the sand bed thoroughly in sections each time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts