The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey: Hello

Well I have this nasty brown stringy algea in my 55 gallon tank. I have new 250 watt XM 10k bulbs. I have a 4 inch dsb. The tank is about 4 months mature. I use a Remora Pro skimmer that is producing well.

This brown stringy stuff has bubbles in it so it floats up from the sand and rocks. It breaks apart and floats to the top of the tank and forms floating patches that accumulate around the corners of the tank sometimes. It recedes at night when the lights are off but comes back by 11:00am.
Yesterday I removed all my liverock, Vacumed the top 1 inch of sand till most of the stuff was gone. Cleaned the glass and did a 50% water change then installed the liverock again. There is only 1 starfish and some snails and hermits in this tank along with some lps and soft corals. I also put on my Magnum canister filter with a blue filter pad and some charcoal media. I have 2 powerheads in this tank. 1 Seio and Maxijet 1200. Along with the filter return and the mag3 on the skimmer there is plenty of turnover with little dead spots. The tank looked pretty good after all this work yesterday. Today I turned back on the lights and the same small bubbles started forming on the rocks then the brown stringy stuff came back. I forgot to mention that there was also a red cyno problem that I treated with chemiclean and water changes about 2-3 weeks ago. I guess it never really completly went away either when this brown crap atarted.

Im about to drain this sucker. What do I do now? My other tank is doing awesome. I have 2 years experiance with reef tanks so this is not exactly new stuff for me. Im frustrated:doh: Wetwebmedia.com is saying its Dinoflagellate or Diatom.

Help :banana:

Jay

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Algae blooms in new tanks, like yours, are to be expected. Please don't get frustrated...just continue to keep your water quality very high and the algae will slowly disappear.

Are you using RO water for water changes? Also, canister filters may (and I say "may") harbor nitrates/phosphates that algae feeds upon. The best way to get rid of algae is to take away its source of nutrients.

Good luck, Jay! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have a RO/DI unit. I think I may need to increase my current. I understand the zero nutrient concept. I read in the archives here that someone cranked up their current till it was just moving the sand and this helped with this brown stringy algea. I think its a combination of Cynoslime and Dinoflagellate.

Jay

Thanks Chris

Jay

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havent snapped a pic yet. I will tommorow after about 2 when its in its full bloom. I cut the halides todat at 3 just because I couldnt stand looking at it. My other tank takes care of itself yet this thing.....I dont know....frustrating. This to be my sps tank. I even have a Cal reactor that I havent hooked up yet because I was going to wait till this tank matured b4 I started gathering frags.

Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts