The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a branching hammer that had finally started opening quite nicely. Last weekend I removed all the lr to get to a sick fish. Since putting everything back together the hammer again is looking poor. Now I hope its just the stress of the moving of rocks but now it is also gaping. The mouth opens and a bubble pops out and it excretes brown stuff. Now I have read these guys get something called brown jelly disease. The pics I have seen show obvious tissue loss and its on the outside of the coral. The polyps are not rotting just staying withdrawn. What should I do? Wait it out?

ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite all zero.

I don't have a phosphate kit so couldn't test. Will be getting one tho.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,652 Posts
That does not sound like brown jelly, that makes the coral go transparent/brown and rot letting off brown blobs of tissue, any coral they touch will also become infected.

Yours may be just pooing. (hopefully)

I have never had a torch gape though, have you tried feeding it?

My torch gets really ticked for a few days when I do anything to him.

My advice: Keep a close eye on him, and wait for what other people say.

Reading back over this it is not much help really, but I will post it anyway.
Whiskey

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried to feed it but it doesn't seem to grab anything. I have been dosing brine shrimp that I hatched hope it maybe getting some of that. It doesn't seem to be decaying at all. This guy has been slow to adjust from day one so hope he is just ticked at me.

·
Registered
842 Posts
It may be just expelling it's zooxanthelle (sp??). This is somewhat typical for torch corals. Just leave it be and do not try feeding it. That will only irritate it. This does not sound like brown jelly but zooxanthelle being released.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts