The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm having a 2nd diatom bloom (at least I think that is what it is...)in my tank and was wondering if you have any suggestions. I went through a bloom about 3 weeks ago and afterwards, the sand cleared up nicely. I increased the light time again (to about 12 hrs of act and 10 of wh) and did not see a noticeable change. Within the last week, the sand had gotten quite dirty again.

I'm attaching some pictures. As for a clean up crew, I have 3 Mexican Turbo Snails, many small snails (I would guess around 15 -- not longer than a dime each) and about 6 small crabs. When they first entered the tank, my crabs were extremely active on the sand, but now I rarely see them working on it. I see some activity on the rocks, but never really see them working the sand.

I do a 5% change every 1-2 weeks. I tested water today and had the following results:

PH=8.4
Ammonia =0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate < 10 ppm (I really think it was 5ppm, but this is my first time to do this test on my own and I wanted to error on the high side)
SG=1.0225
Temp = 79

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
btt...any thoughts? I increased my clean up crew substantially today. They seem to be feasting on the stuff (is it probably cyano -- not brown algae?). What is your basic rule of thumb regarding snails and crabs per gallon?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
You might want to try a sea cucumber one of the ugly black ones or a small tiger tail they do a good job on the sand

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
Diatoms will bloom not just once in a young tank. And, if you add/remove things too rapidly, the biofilter will get knocked out of balance and you'll get a bloom as well. nothing to worry about actually, it just is a reminder that things are trying to balance out.

regarding the snails...i think some go by 1 - 2 snails per gallon for the most part....i just go by how much my bio load is...if my tank looks dirty, I get more. Generally you can start with ten and get 5 at a time after that to be on the safe side :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys,

I've been replenishing with salt water to try and get the salinity up as well as I've added 5 narcissa (sp?) snails. I'm not seeing a decrease, but it seems to be increasing. I've seen a small amount of growth on a couple of rocks. I also added 5 snails and 20 crabs two days ago -- when they entered the tank, the crabs went nuts eating the stuff (and knocked it down pretty good), but after several hours, they went belly up and I haven't seen them move again since...are the stuffed? (total of about 30 crabs and 10 snails in all).

What else can i do to help?

I have a Korilla 2 and 3 as well as a 300 GPH return on the system...is that enough flow, or do I need to add more? Also, I'm seeing bubbles on the surface (near the cyano) as well as a coat of green algae (very thin) on my glass each day. I've had a difficult time with temp flux, but I think the fans I purchased will help get that under control.

Had the water tested yesterday and these are the results:
PH = 8.1
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Phosphate = .25
Alkalinity = 2.5
DKh = 7.0

How concerned should I be and what additional steps do you think I should take. Thanks again!

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
Whats the Slanity at atm thats a neeed to know Inverts need just the right treatment when going in to the tank otherwise they dont suvrive
how are you testing for the salt content ? What size tank is that ? i think these questions will lead to an anwser :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do gobies eat cyano? Is my tank established enough to accept a goby? All I've read shows they require a lot of care. Thanks!

·
HOW MUCH!Ok I will take 2
888 Posts
I just recently added a Mexican turbo snail.....LFS told me that it eats diatoms

1 - 9 of 9 Posts