The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends 8 yr old son was sitting in front of the tank tonight while I had my back turned watching tv. He shouted out, "hey Bob, the shark just ate a small fish!". I was puzzled and jumped up to see what the hell was going on, because everybody was warning me about keeping him, but I didn't listen. He just hatched last week and I thought he would be too small to do anything damaging anyways. He had snagged the tail of my smallest Orange Spotted goby that apparently swam too close. I netted the shark out of the tank and my wife said to put him in the sump till morning when I could return him. I took it out in the garage and dumped him in and he disappeared at what I thought was the back corner. I crouched down a minute later to check on him and he was gone. I searched everywhere, removed the skimmer and was puzzled. I looked at the return pump inlet and thought, no way. I stuck my finger in and felt nothing but suction. I searched around some more thinking he jumped out, but nothing. I finally shut the system down, disconnected the pump and low and behold, he was sitting against the impeller looking at me. I was going to pull off the cover, but as I sat the pump down, he wiggled into my hand. He's in a vented container in the aquarium floating now until morning, but he doesn't have a scratch on him. So how was you're day?

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Just curious - why are you returing it?

It *is* a shark - surely you anticipated that at some point it would be large enough to eat your other tank inhabitants? I certainly would have hoped you'd purchased the egg with the intention/ability to hatch and rear the creature into adulthood?

Jenn

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are nutty like poop!!! I didn't buy the egg and I didn't want a shark in the first place. My buddy went out and bought it for the tank, I thought it would be cool for my kids to watch it hatch and possibly just keep a close eye on it for a couple of months. Well, it made it a couple of weeks before trying to eat anything, so off he goes back to the LFS. So I just want to go back being "Tang Boy" for now. The shark thing has never exceited me in the first place. I've seen Jaws numerous times and I'm bored with it. LOL

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And my wife would serve me divorce papers!!!.. I actually took him over to Vivid Aquariums this morning and they traded me for a Pipe Organ Coral. At least I know that won't eat anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts