The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank has been set up for almost two months now. I have had what I believe to be brown algae for the past 3 weeks. From what I understand, that is supposed to be a stage and should go away on it's own. Problem is, it's still here :doh: I did a water change with ro/di water a few days ago and I siphon as much of it off the rocks and sand as I can once a week. Water parems: 1.026, pH 8.2, amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. Don't have a phos test. Tank has 6 snails and 3 hermits, no fish, several small frags. Here's what the stuff looks like. It get's real long and hairy like cotton candy if I don't siphon it out. What should I do :confused:

Edit: This stuff only grows on rock/sand exposed to light. Areas in shade are algae free.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
seems like your on the right path. just keep at it, it should die out. might take more than 3 weeks though (obviously) have you thought about adding a fuge with some macro algae? that is supposed to out compete other algaes for food. some people here are against them, but it is an option.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought about a fuge but from what I understand, brown algae lives off of silica which macroalgae does not bind. I have read to both change water and not to change water. It's confusing, arghh....

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtfatwork said:
what is the tds reading on your ro water?
42 ppm going in and 0 ppm coming out. If it's 0 ppm does that mean there is no silica in the water?

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
hng said:
42 ppm going in and 0 ppm coming out. If it's 0 ppm does that mean there is no silica in the water?
Keep doing water changes. :) Ime, ridding your tank of algae is usually measured in months, not weeks. And it is a constant battle. I feel your pain...I am dealing with algae in my nano right now.

As said above, you appear to be on the right path. Good luck, and please keep us informed!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I had the brown stuff over a month. Broke down and got some turbo snails and they will wipe the stuff out in no time. After the fact someone told me not to do waterchange until the algae goes away. After getting the turbo's it never came back so I never got to test that out. A new tank can take several months to cycle completely. At least your numbers are good tho you may want to get the phosphate test that really leads to algae blooms. They sell phosphate sponges if it is high. Mine works great.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Patience.

Remember that incoming rock, specimens (and any water you add to the system from specimen bags, a definite issue to avoid), and some filter media may introduce silicates, as well as the mere presence of the algae itself ( new rock often brings its own supply of algae).

Not a problem considering the age of the system, rather part of the normal algal/biological succession of a closed system. Keep siphoning out whatever you can find to export the algae and its nutrients trapped in the biomass, it will pass. As diversity develops in the system, more biological sinks will form that will capture the silicates in more asthetically acceptable forms (like sponges, I have some baby blue, orange, and/or tan sponges you may want to use to kickstart some growth).

HTH

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tom, I'll give you a call later today. As for now, another round of siphoning off the brown stuff.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Vacuum that stuff out, do some water changes and then get a copy of Atlas Shrugged.

While you nap in between trying to read that tome that stuff will go away.

It is normal and waiting sort of sucks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't worry too much about it I have just started to see a decrease in my tanks algae problem and I set it up in Feb. Just continue with regular water changes and get as much of it out as you can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts