The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An algae on my rock that I thought was cool at first, has now turned into a problem of some sort. It seems to be slowly spreading and replacing coralline algae. It may be " Lobophora variegata ". From what I have read, an urchin, foxface or some tangs like the naso or kole could help me out. The problem is that urchins bulldoze stuff around, I'm not a fan of poisonous pets like the foxface and the naso should be in a bigger tank than my 90. I have a 2" Hippo tang and he ofcourse is not the correct tang type to help me out. I really do not want to dismantle my tank to scrub this crap either. Any other options here?

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This stuff is a little different. This isn't a diatom bloom or your traditional green algae that everyon gets. I have 12 or so hermits and 4 decent sized snails. If I can find a 2" Naso, I may just go that route.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
froget about clean up crews and algae eating fish. That will not help youre problem. Its coming from a route source, such as a too high bio load, hisg organtics, nitrates phosphates. What kind of water do you use? What size tank with how many fish/ what filter system? What skimmer do you use?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
LiquidLunch said:
This stuff is a little different. This isn't a diatom bloom or your traditional green algae that everyon gets. I have a 12 or so hermits and 4 decent sized snails. If I can find a 2" Naso, I may just go that route.
Nasos grow very big very fast and I would not reccomment one to a tank under 150 gallons.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Actually, these algae usually have somewhat demanding requirements of the water quality: their presence is not necessarily related to poor detritus export or nutrient accumulation, esecially in the absence of any cyanobacteria or other nuisnce algae. Macroalgae like this are sometime difficult to eradicate without some type of herbivory to remove the algae to the rock, and for that reason, I'd suggest either chipping it out of your live rock (use a pair of wire cutters) or look for a tuxedo urchin (Mespilia globulus) or related specie that will graze the algae to the rock with little bulldozing.

A Foxface will not be a problem so long as you don't try to pick it up (mine unfortunately likes to eat the algae I am manually scraping off the acrylic of the prop system, often swimming between my hand and the glass to get all the morsles it can grab... :rolleyes: ) The first four to six dorsal spines are hollow quills and contain a toxin that it uses as a defense against being eaten by other larger fishes. The defensive posture is quills at lock and head down, usually in cammoflague. Should your foxface take this posture, it is a smart thing to just walk away from the tank. Any other time, they are VERY personable, and love to be fed by hand (nori).

Get some herbivory going. My personal take on fish in the system is that you need to have fishes that do a job before adding any other ones to the system...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts