Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank: 85 Gallon Saltwater
Inhabitants: 2 x Clownfish, 2 x Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Rock: 25 lbs Live Rock, 25 lbs "dead" Rock
Equipment: Current OrbitMarine LEDs, 9.5 MagDrive Pump, Sump/Refugium

-------

I came into my shop today to find my aquarium covered in a layer of brown/rust-colored sediment covering the entire tank. Is it algae? It had noticed a few days ago that one of my live rocks was turning a darker brown color.. and now the live sand has a layer of brown on it, the aquarium glass had a layer on it (brushed off with magnetic scrubber). I tested the parameters and everything checks out with only a slight elevation in ammonia (between 0 & .25)... I'm planning a water change for tomorrow to see if that helps. What is it and how do I correct?

-------

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
How old is your tank? If there is ammonia and livestock in the tank, I'd recommend temporarily removing any livestock and giving to a friend or your LFS because any amount of ammonia at all is highly toxic to animals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How old is your tank? If there is ammonia and livestock in the tank, I'd recommend temporarily removing any livestock and giving to a friend or your LFS because any amount of ammonia at all is highly toxic to animals.

My tank if fairly new.. 3-4 weeks new. I'll take your advice and bring my critters to my LFS just to be on the safe side.. check out the pics I was finally able to post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll do a water change tomorrow when my LFS opens and see what happens.. with any amount of luck the parameters will level out.. particularly the ammonia. I'm fairly relieved it's diatoms and not algae. Thank you all for being so responsive and helpful!! This is my first marine tank.. it's incredibly exciting so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yay! IMO any ammonia is bad and you should do a wc asap. Did something die? Aare there fish or anything else in there? How old is the tank?
Nothing has died and none of my livestock appear to be acting ill. Very healthy just the tank is brown :bawling:

·
Registered
16 Posts
My is doing the same thing. My tank is 30 gal. I only have about 5 pounds of live rock, I have live sand, and I have nothing else! My tank is fairly new... about 5 weeks. My ammonia was spiked a little, so I chose to wait on a fish. This brown is ugly!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
125G Reef Tank
112 Posts
From what I've experienced, it just needs time. This happened with my 125G in the beginning and everything calmed down. I guess they call it 'the uglies'... prepare for more critters and colors to come out.

I do agree with handing off any livestock for the time being and doing a water change. I lost a clown and a couple snails because it was too soon.

Patience is key!:thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts