The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a small set up, only 10 gallon. Have a small blue eyed royal dottyback, a strom snail, brittle star and a crab of some sort with a torch coral and a purple star polyp. I am having a problem with brown algae build up on tue glass. All the water parameters are perfect. What qould be the best clean up crew member to keep this brown algae under control.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Welcome to TRT. The problem is with adding more critters to the tank, you're just increasing the bio load. What you should do instead is find out why you have the issue to begin with. Do you use RO/DI water? How much excessive food do you see after feeding? How old is your tank? What is your phosphate reading at? These answer will help us answer more questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I only use tap water but where im from in Australia there is notjing in the water that would cause a concern. The tank is around 8 weeks old its currently ready 0phosphate, 0 amonia, 0 nitrite but around 40 nitrate. But working on that wwith a few regular water changes. I dont really see any extra food floating Round after feeding. I also have a growth on my glass that is thin like strands of hair but mives around like a worm. What could that be?

·
Taco Grande
170 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I only use tap water but where im from in Australia there is notjing in the water that would cause a concern. The tank is around 8 weeks old its currently ready 0phosphate, 0 amonia, 0 nitrite but around 40 nitrate. But working on that wwith a few regular water changes. I dont really see any extra food floating Round after feeding. I also have a growth on my glass that is thin like strands of hair but mives around like a worm. What could that be?
If you can I would still get an RODI unit. These units are not just pulling out harmful chemicals but they are making pure water with no dissolved solids. The purest spring water will have trace elements in it that can affect our tanks. You want an RODI unit so the water you mix with your salt has a TDS of 0. This will be your best bet at keeping your tank algae free. If you want before you buy a RODI unit you can buy a TDS meter to check the amount of dissolved solids you have in your water. A tds meter is good to have anyway to insure your RODI unit is still producing pure water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts