The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a brittle starfish my tank is 55 gallon w/ pH of 8.2 spg 1.024 temp 76.8. It was moving when I first acclimated it but now its just sitting at the bottom of my tank not moving. Is it dying? I am new to the hobby and would like to not kill my tanks first few inhabitants.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

Brittle stars typically aren't very active during the day and prefer to hide in the shade. He might take a while to get used to his new home so i would just give him time. My serpent star is a good indicator if something is wrong in my tank. If the tank is too cold, he will move to the heater. If he is out during the day roaming around, i know the tank needs fed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It will take time to adjust to its surroundings. If it is right side up it is probably fine. Sometimes they just sit there until they sense food. Mine are much more active at night. Make sure it has an elevated rock or cave to go under when your daylights are on.

·
The Dude
468 Posts
if you want to see him move. put in some frozen shrimp, like brine, in the tank. Mine likes to move a lot looking for food whenever I put that in the tank. Its kinda how I see if he is alive in still in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts