The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems as though bristleworms seem to be turning their reputation around. In fact, I see them for sale in detrivore packs now @ 6 for $20. (see http://www.ipsf.com/index.html)

I have hundreds of them in one of my tanks. So, don't buy them when I can just give you some... if you want them of course. They are excellent scavengers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
who would ever buy them? Granted they do help keep things clean. But don't most people have a overpopulation of them? I certainly get a ton of the buggers everywhere.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
don't most people have a overpopulation
Not sure. I have one tank in which they are everywhere. I have never seen a single one in my other tank. Go figure. It just depends on where your rock came from.

Yeah, I can't beleive people would buy them for $20, but maybe I need to start a new eBay business. I'd be rich!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how big are they? do they reproduce in the tank? i have one, its fairly large as far as i ahve seen brittle stars, its about 4 inches from arm to arm. cute lil bugger.
My bristleworms range from almost no-seeum size up to several inches. I've personally seen some around 5 or 6 inches long, which is sort of alarming! I'm sure there are longer ones too.

Yes they reproduce like rabbits in the tank.

They are pinkish with little spines that run down their back.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
The tanks with just live rock and calurpa in them have tons of them. I found the easiest way to catch them is use mesh and wrap a piece of shrimp in it. I will catch a dozen or so on a good day, maybe 3 on the worse day.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Why would you catch them? They are good, especially with sauce ;)

I have a zillion of 'em in my seahorse tank at the shop. Every once in a while I take out one of the rocks and let it dry just a bit, so the worms come out looking for water. I pick them off with a tweezer, and put them in water and give them to anybody who wants them.

$20 for 6??? :eek: Sheeze no wonder I'm broke - I'm giving away stuff that is worth its weight in gold!

Jenn

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Ugh...they give me the willies....We make Justin pull the mesh out. Something I will tell you though. The mesh has holes the size of pin holes. a 2 inch bristlworm can squeeze through the mesh. I don't know how they do it, just know that they can do it. Do they really sting if you touch them?

·
Registered
80 Posts
They don't really stink, but the stickers do irritate alot. I got a rash that lasted about a week. Nothing extreamly painfull, just makes typeing a pain.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
JennM said:
Why would you catch them? They are good, especially with sauce
you mean one of these???

For a sense of scale, the mushroom in the background is about 3 inches across... ...you can see about the first 1/4 of the length of this monster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.