The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listnight I found 3 little(for now) bristleworm in my sump. I've always heard they were bad. After posting the pic and looking them up on google I get mixed opinions. So I thought I would just post a thread asking if y'all think thier good or bad?

Attachments

·
11,345 Posts
You already know how i feel about them so i will spare you from repeating it.
I will offer you this, on those searches how did what did the forums and conversations boards(such as this one), and the SCIENTIFIC information sites differ? There lies your answer.
You will always get some mixed answers on boards not written by scientists and marine biologists. Willing to bet the scientific links DIDNT contradict themselves.

And what tims said is correct, there are many types of bristles, a very small number of which that are bad, but yours isnt one of them.

·
Registered
430 Posts
OMG.. I was about to open a new thread for this, but since this one is covering it.. I found a few worms today in my sand bed.. this is the largest one.. the others are very tiny..

I was a little concerned at first, but I guess this means my sand bed is coming alive... and hopefully these are the good variety bristle worm.. I can only hope. :)

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Fly guy and Tim I want you both to know I really appreciate and respect your opinions. I would have no problems with the worm if I hadn't seen your pet. That thing looks more like a snake than a worm. I realize after chatting with you that there prob very little I can do because I prob have a ton of them and didn't realize it.

·
Banned
316 Posts
I don't know that that particular species is common, but eunicids in general are. Most are harmless scavengers, but a few will eat corals and sometimes even small fish.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Partobe, I've already stated my opinion on yours in yesterdays thread.....I have the same ones in my fuge, display and sump w/ no adverse effects in 3 years. From my readings it seems very uncommon for the hobbiest to come across the "bad" bristleworms....not that it doesn't happen, but it's not something I would worry myself over. I have quite a few of them that live in my liverock as well as my sandbed, and I see them mostly at night. They are beneficial to your sytem

Tiburon- I see a bristleworm(harmless) and spaghetti worms (yellow stringy ones) in your picture. Both are common in live sandbeds and are beneficial in processing detrius in your SB.

I personally like seeing the bristleworms in my system, showing them to non-reefers is always entertaining.....Plus watching them help keep my rocks clean is the best part.

I agree with the post, if you have one-then you have a ton more. They hide quite well, and move quickly when moving during the day across rocks.

Here's once vote for let them live!!

·
11,345 Posts
partobe said:
Hi Fly guy and Tim I want you both to know I really appreciate and respect your opinions. I would have no problems with the worm if I hadn't seen your pet. That thing looks more like a snake than a worm. I realize after chatting with you that there prob very little I can do because I prob have a ton of them and didn't realize it.
About 4 tanks ago and before i found TRT i used to keep 2 lions and an eel in a 46 and fed them as much as they could eat. WAY overstocked and WAY overfed. THATS what created worms such as the one i showed you a picture of the other day. That worm i kept as a pet and posted yesterday was just over 20" or so, the biggest i found was about 30, and even those huge bristles never touched anything that wasnt already dead...not to say that some types cant....

It also created 4"x2" flatworms i believe, this flatworm also ate snails but i dont think it would have gotten to this size without some correlation with the system it came out of......thats NOT a microscopic lens that took these pictures, its a huge fricken flatworm in a 10" glass pie plate

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok I'm feeling much better about the worms now. Reelfreak and Fly guy thank you so much. Those are really cool pix fly guy! The funny thing is if I went o a pet shop I would want to buy that love cool looking things like that.

·
11,345 Posts
partobe said:
The funny thing is if I went o a pet shop I would want to buy that love cool looking things like that.
i think it would be cool to set up a system with only a bunch of gnarly looking worms and pests. Load it up with the pretty majanos, bad worms and crabs, and whatever else you can think of..............

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
One way to kind of limit the amount and/or growth of the bristle worms is not to feed too much, is they are scavangers limit the amount of food they get and they should not multiply too much.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Little Luey
a cpl of weeks ago in order to drive my nitrates down:angry: I started feeding my fish 3x a week. Befroe I was feeding atlest 1 x a day some days twice.
Patrick

·
Banned
316 Posts
Tiburon- I see a bristleworm(harmless) and spaghetti worms (yellow stringy ones) in your picture. Both are common in live sandbeds and are beneficial in processing detrius in your SB.
It's actually all one worm. That's what the body of hair worms looks like under the sand. The yellow things are the feeding tentacles.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the 3 I have or should I say the 3 Ive seen in my sump is a little different. It's almost black with a bright red head. I posted pix but they weren't the best at the beginning of this post

1 - 20 of 22 Posts