Votes: 30 93.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 2 6.3%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good or bad? A lot of people have mixed emotions about them. I am just asking cause i found one in my tank today.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
They arent bad for the tank generally speaking, but they can sting your hand if you arent careful around them, and they can become quite large in population in some extreme cases.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I say good! If you get large numbers of them than its not their fault its yours... you need to do better husbandry.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You do have to acknowledge that "bristle worms" is a pretty generic description of a myriad (I think exceeding some ridiculous number like 10,000) different worms under the class polychaeta. Some bristle worms will eat coral (most won't) - the wrong species of bristle worm can be bad.

In general though, I think they are good.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Most species are good guys. There are a few bad guys that occasionally make it into the hobby, but most of them get pretty big. The small thin ones are usually harmless. And as stated, their population is governed by how clean your tank is.

·
Dazed & confused
328 Posts
bad bad bad

Unfortunately my freebee tank came with a bunch of them, and I can't starve them as they eat my snails, currently trying to dispose of as many of them as I can.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
get your self a red flashlight and look a fw hours ofter the lights go out. You have a whole lot more than one I guarantee it, and looking at night with a lgiht that they cant see so easily will show them to you.

:agree: This just happens to be one of my favorite past times. Does that make me crazy? :)

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
:agree: This just happens to be one of my favorite past times. Does that make me crazy? :)
If so then I'm crazy as well:agree:. I keep a flashlight and magnifying glass by my tank at all times. It's like having two tanks in one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow :shocked: - even the good ones would scare the crap out of me at that size. I can't imagine sticking my arm into a tank knowing that thing was in there! :eek4:

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Here's a link to probably the most common "bad guy". Expecially if you buy LR from Florida.
http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=292
If there ever was a beautiful worm, this is it. Unfortunately it will eat just about anything in your tank. You can Google "fire worm" and find lots of pics of this bad buy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts