The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a diffrence between a bristle worm and fire worm i got a candy cane coral today and it was really nice. i knew it had one aptasia on it but was willing to buy it and just kill the aptasia. well when i put it in the tank this large pink worm with white bristles crawled off the coral and into my live rock. i was not worried about a bristle but i was reading some bad things about fire worms. same, diffrent, anything to worry about.

·
11,345 Posts
they are all polychaetes, and all commonly referred to as firewoms. Many think fireworms are different and bad guys, but they are not. It just depends on what myth if going on in the thread you are reading

There are very few fireworms out of countless types that pose our tanks any problems. You are more likely to find a eunicid than a harmful polychaete. Eunicids dont have the bristles. Most likely the one you have is fine and just a detrivore that isnt equipped to be killing anything no matter how big it gets.

Without a good picture its hard to say for sure, but odds are he is your friend, not foe

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I'll defer to fly for the specifics, but in any case many folks have somewhat of an adverse reaction to bristleworms. Take caution as you handle them, as it may "sting" you for lack of a better word (some detached bristles can irritate the skin).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep--those are bristle worms!

Now it is funny, I catch live house mice with my bare hands--but I must admit the larger bristle worms just creep me out! When they get to be about 4inches long they just do me in.

And I admit, if you are going after them--wear gloves because, in my experience you will get stung. I had no feeling in my five fingers for five days after picking them up out of the tank. YUK!

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
The best analogy I can use if if you have ever gotten a metal sliver...the really really small ones that you can't get out with a pin, tweezers, or anything else? That is what it feels like. It just irritates and irritates until your body breaks it down...It can take days and is annoying as....as...well, as a metal sliver.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I too inherited a 4-5" bristleworm on the new LR. It looks similar to the picture above but is more clear in colour (if you know what I mean). It has quite a girth too. I intended to leave it there but what damage do they cause? Do they go for corals or do the bristles get stuck in fish on touch?

I hoped it would just clean up the waste in the sand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lion is by far worse, the bigger ones 8 inch plus can put you in the hospital. The smaller ones will swell you up for a week. Bristle worms are more annoying than anything (feels like fiberglass).

·
Above water diver
296 Posts
Yea, from the remedies between the two I assumed lionfish stings are worse, just curious if there was anyone unlucky enough! I dont move LR around without gloves and when I do have a lionfish in tank, I always make note of where he is, lol

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
yup, been stung by a dwarf, apparently bee sting allergy makes it worse :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts