The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone..does anyone know a way to get rid of bristleworms? i just lost a large deresa clam which i had for almost 2 years..ive pulled them out with a tweezer from the clam and the next day i see more until my clam died..i dont over feed, just 1 cube every other day...i do a 10 gallon water change every week/2weeks to syphon my gravel but still i see alot of bristleworms crawling out when i feed my suncoral..i do want to buy another clam but i do need to find a way to protect it...any advise would be helpful.

Jonathan
75 gallon bowfront w/ 2 250watts mh and 2 96watts pc. 30gallon refugium w/built in skimmer. large maroon clown, yellow tang, 2 damsel, 1 chromis, large royal gramma and a pink skunk clown. green bubble coral, pulsating xenia, few leather coral, suncoral, kenya tree coral, open brain coral and other soft corals.

·
11,345 Posts
The bristleworm didnt kill your clam. He was just doing his job of cleaning up dead or decaying tissue from either the clam being unhealthy and dying anyway, or from another predator such as a polyclad flatworm or pyramidellidae snails.

Bristeworms are your friend and part of your clean up crew. If you have a ton of them then you have excess nutrients allowing them to thrive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm...but my clam was very healthy and always wide open untill it started to jump around so i looked at the bottom of my clam and all i saw was bristle worm. would i be able to see a polyclad flatworm?

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Yes they are much smaller then bristle worms and I agree with them!Sorry for youe loss.If you have to many bristle worms they still won't kill your clam but you can buy Exit from Salifert to get rid of them,but there good for the tank.

·
Registered
750 Posts
A six line wrasse will feed on bristleworms, and is a very beautiful fish. I would get a trap for the bigger ones. Bristle worms get a bad rap because most are scavengers, and are found on dead fish. There are a few that do hunt, but chances are you just have the scavenger type. Arrow crabs also do a nice job of cleaning them up if populations get out of control. <!-- / message --><!-- sig --> <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

·
11,345 Posts
[

Yes they are much smaller then bristle worms .............you can buy Exit from Salifert to get rid of them,.
Polyclad flatworms are typically 1" to over 5" long and a 1/2 their length across. 3.5-4 inchers are very common of the ones that are found

Out of the main system experimenting i have tried to kill them with FWE and it doesnt even phase them until you get to a 40x or more dosage which besides costing a ton of money I dont think would be a good idea in your display

here is one of the ones I have had over 4"

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Here is a stupid question Geoff. Can pyramid snails live in a tank without a clam? I've never been into clams, but am thinking about one for my tank now... I often see little snails, but never was concerned about them until now. Next time I see one, I'm going to pull it out and see if it's just a baby cereith or something or a pyramid. But since I changed out everything recently, it could be months before I see any again.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Here is a stupid question Geoff. Can pyramid snails live in a tank without a clam? I've never been into clams, but am thinking about one for my tank now... I often see little snails, but never was concerned about them until now. Next time I see one, I'm going to pull it out and see if it's just a baby cereith or something or a pyramid. But since I changed out everything recently, it could be months before I see any again.
there seem to be a bit of confusion out there on pyramid snails. there are either two different species or one species that can feed on two different hosts. most people believe that there are two different species that require their own specific host.

ok, now for the explaination for the above statement. :D pyramid snails will need to be introduced by its host. either a clam or Astrea snails. they can not feed on any ol snail. they seem to only feed on Astrea snails. those that feed on clams seem to be able to feed on any Tridacna clam. i have not heard of any feeding on Hippopus clams, but then again these are fairly uncommon in the trade. certain clams seem more susceptible to pyramid snails, those being crocea and maximas. it may have to do with size though. i had a decent infestation several years ago and my 8" squammie did not seem affected by them at all, while my smaller croceas and maximas had to be cleaned quite frequently to keep them healthy.

pyramid snails are bright white in colour and less than a 1/4" in length. Ceriths will be bigger and have colour to their shells even when young. Ceriths also have a rounded opening while the pyramids are more sharply defined and squared off.

if you have Astreas, you can see the tiny pyramid snails hanging out on the underside of the Astreas when they crawl along the glass. pyramid snails will be attached to their hosts. this is why it is a good idea to have a look at the undersides of all clams when you buy them. maximas and squammies are the most difficult to look for these snails because of all of their scutes.

HTH,

G~

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Thanks Geoff. I usually research things till I'm blue before I buy them after having a few nightmares in the past. So I'm just now touching on researching the clams:) Maybe in six months I'll actually buy one.

I'll look at the few astreas I have left and see if I have any hosting. My snail population dwindled significantly moving to the new tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nope i didnt see any goo but i did see a hole the size of a ball point pen tip where bristle worms were coming out of it. thanks Geoff for the info..will have to check the clams that i buy from now on.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
hmm, that hole was not done by the bristle worms. i can not remember which predator drills holes in clams, but that is your culprit. i will see if i can hunt it down for you, but hopefully someone else will remember before i can find it.

G~

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Geoff thanks that would be helpful..im still researching as well before i add another clam in my tank.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i have found something. for some reason i was thinking it was a snail that drilled through the side of the clam, but this site has a worm listed. it is listed under the Oenonidae (Clam Worm).

i would do another search for these kind of worms and see if you can find more info.

HTH,

G~

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats interesting..but never seen one unless they look like bristleworms..ive been trapping the bristleworms lately and ill keep checking if i catch one..it saids long orange worm so im sure i can tell the difference. ill try to find a picture of it.

Jonathan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts