The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the trick to bringing Calcium levels down to a desirable level? I've tried water changes several times now, and it doesn't seem to come down to what my test kit says is a desirable level. It stays about 3 levels above that desired point. I can't seem to get coralline algae to take off from my rocks with existing coralline, even when I add Purple Up.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I'd suspect the test kit first, if it doesn't give you a figure in ppm for Ca but rather a "desirable scale" I wouldn't trust it.......Get a Salifert test kit and then test.

Oceanic has some of the higher levels of Ca amongst salt brands, thus many people like it for tanks with high Ca needs.

Do you have alot of calcium demanding corals right now? If not I wouldn't stress too hard over your calcium levels and would strive for stability more than a target range.....

Get a new test kit and post the Ca, Alk and Mg if possible.....Salifert is one of the best bets for the hobbiest.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about my last reply. I was at work, and couldn't remember what my ppm were on the Calcium. I have an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit, and it has the desired range shown as 400-500 ppm. Mine is at about 560 ppm. I have a few Ca demanding corals (two bubble corals, a frogspawn, a candy cane, and a small piece of scroll coral), so I'm concerned about the Ca levels for them, but I'm also concerned because of the lack of coralline algae in my tank.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts