The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,765 Posts
You most likely have them already.
Put a red cellophane covering over a strong flashlight and shine at the bottom of the tank, especially between rocks, and they are usually found cavorting around, mainly at night when they are safer.
They look like miniature cleaner shrimp.
have done this since getting the tank and have yet to see anything other than copepods, amphipods, chritons i think theyre called, n baby snails. all on rockx or the glass never anything in the water coloum

· Registered
1,765 Posts
That's unfortunate but can be remedied.
Go to your LFS and ask them if you can siphon some out of their holding tank that contains live rock.
You can siphon out from the bottom between rocks if you move the siphon end fast enough and have a strong siphon. Then pour through a net to capture, stirring the water to keep the mysids from clinging to the pail you use. Keep a little water to transport home and put the rest back in the rock tank.
Or, find another hobbyist near you that has mysids and siphon some out of their tank.
If you can get 5 to 10 then in a year or less you will have a density of them that the tank can hold.
i actually asked the lfs lady if they had mysis in their tanks n she started talking down to me about how they are a freshwater shrimp..... and i thought she was the more knowledgeable staff member, so if theres anyone in NWI with mysis in their tank, let me know

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.