The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
26,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this is what i have in my tank... millions of them!!!!

i just upgraded my system from 29 gal, to a 89 gal system about 1 and a half months ago. i used all new water except about 2 gal, because of contaminates.

i always use frozen brine shrimp, never live.... i did not have these larva in my other tank. and i have not added anything new to my system since i upgraded. where could they have come from?????

are they brine shrimp larva??? i also do not have any pairs of fish, so they can't be fish or shrimp larva...

the reason i found them, is i was doing a night feeding of corals, and the corals and the fish have not been eating like they have always done, since about 2 weeks ago. so i was watching them eat something in the water (i didn't feed them yet) and when i put my LED flash light in the water, there where thousands of the light seeking larva...

so i got some under the microscope and they look just like that picture..

???? how did they get in there?

and its making my tank cloudy....

· Premium Member
26,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i have only natural filtration, and my filter pads are very course, so my copepods and anthropods can pass. i have a breeding population of copepods and anthropods for almost a year now, i know what they look like, these are diff.

but mysid shrimp? really?

and i thought i had to pay $50 to get a starter culture...

these have very big black eyes, and are very bright orange, if that helps...

· Premium Member
26,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no pairs in my tank, only single sexes.

the other thing is, i have never seen an Adult Mysid shrimp.. only copepods and anthropods. i have spent hours at diff times of night, and never seen anything, exept copepods and anthropods.

if i have such a dense population, wouldn't i need a lot of adults?
i'm not saying your wrong, i'm just trying to understand...

i'm going to see if i can snag a picture of one tonight...

· Premium Member
26,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, i finally got a specimen under the microscope here is what i have been looking at...

this is a smaller one, but there are others that look just like that juvenile salamander image i posted in #1

this img is at 75X magnification

i'm also updating my tank specs tonight: here

Attachments

· Premium Member
26,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well I'll tell you, my trick...

I have a $40 microscope i have had for 15 years, all i do is get the slide where i want it, and get the camera lens right on top of the eyepiece and take the picture. :)

heck i have even used a microscope from ROSS, for like $10, and a cheap digital cam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.