The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a pair of turbos in my tank, and they were laying eggs at least once a week. I still have a bunch of the eggs on the glass. The babies are surviving.....I have probably 40-50 babies about the size of a pin head. My question is....is it normal for the parents to die off with the absence of algae? I mean, ive had to supplement algae to keep all of them alive....but did I do something wrong? Or is it normal for them to turnover and die? Im just kinda bummed my breeding pair are dead....but at least I have there offspring! :)

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate it, I counted a little over 30.....but as porous as my rock is....and considering the crevices in the rock and the back.....im going to estimate around 50+ in my tank. Hopefully more. I was thinking about setting up a tank just for the turbos so they could breed and eat to there hearts desire....the reef tank is pretty clean. I think my crabs tormented them until they died. But its all gravy. I juts have to baby these eggs that I have left....and hope they hatch too. :)

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Mike, did you ever actually witness them laying eggs?

The reason why I ask is turbo snails are broadcast spawners. The male releases a smoky liquid and the females will release small eggs. This tends to happen all at once with every turbo snail in the tank contributing. Some people have had their tanks cloud over from the spawns. I have witnessed this a few times myself but have never seen a turbo lay eggs.

Ceriths and astreas are the more common egg layers.

Here is a video I found of a turbo spawn.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well maybe something else is laying eggs.......but I do have baby turbos. The shells on them gives it away. I knew limpits were broadcast spawners......and I have those in my tank shooting stuff in the water all the time. So that would make three variety of snails spawning. :) thats pretty super! Maybe its my astrea snails...not sure. I havent actually witnessed it, I just saw the result of the babies and assumed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts