The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breeding True Percula Clownfish!

Hi everyone,
I have a pair of True Percula Clownfish that are laying eggs! I really want them to hatch, any advice?

They laid the eggs on a round ceramic frag plug, so I could make a "egg" tank if that is the right way to do it.

Any advice? Help! I really don't want to let the eggs just die, plus the clownfish are beautiful!

The tank is a mixed reef with no other fish, but has some hermits.

Should I set up a simple 10g with a basic HOB filter, and do 30% water exchanged with display (50g) weekly? Is there a method to hatch the eggs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This batch only has like 15, but supposably the first batch is small and the next should be 50+!

I will be getting a brine shrimp hatchery going, but anything else?

·
Registered
120 reef 40g trigger emerald sump kessil ap700 light 6ish fish
584 Posts
Search out online.... i found about 5 different places that had similar techniques... but... I'll break it to you now... there is no guarantee that you will be able to introduce them to your existing clowns... it probably won't be cheap... and i highly doubt you can save this spawn... but they probably will spawn again and soon...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Search out online.... i found about 5 different places that had similar techniques... but... I'll break it to you now... there is no guarantee that you will be able to introduce them to your existing clowns... it probably won't be cheap... and i highly doubt you can save this spawn... but they probably will spawn again and soon...
I only have one pair of clowns, the true percules that are laying eggs. Yes, I know this spawn will probably not live (its small anyway) but the next one should have 50+ if my reading is correct

·
Registered
120 reef 40g trigger emerald sump kessil ap700 light 6ish fish
584 Posts
Not sure numbers... usually a few dozen I think... and most clowns don't like more then 1 pair in an aquarium... i might be wrong about adding in the "children" they might be fine... but not sure sorry. And i belive that you need an air stone not a filter... and rotifers and green water to start with... then baby brine shrimp

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Get a copy of Joyce Wilkerson's book "Clownfishes". It covers everything you will need to know.

Your going to need to get much more than brine shrimp as it is much too large for clownfish fry. You're going to need a culture of phytoplankton and rotifers for starters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts