The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I assume you are referring to reef related breeding :D

I have only tried Seahorses but lost them due to tank issues. The hardest thing about breeding is getting food small enough.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
We are working on Clowns now and have not done well, We have done better with the ones that went into the overflow and we had no idea they where there, They didn't make it but a few did change to the stage of looking like a clown fish orange in color, All the ones we have taken to the nusery tank die withing the first week , It is the food that is the problem for us also.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
WE can't get them to eat them , They maybe like seahorse in that the brine start to grow right away and are too big. What we have been trying was frozen rotifiers, That don't work, I think they will go for them, Thats about it, I think You just have to have live rotifiers

·
Registered
189 Posts
Baby brine are too big for the baby clowns. You need to use rotifers. They are small enough for them to eat. Once they babies get bigger than you can slowly try and get them to eat baby brine and crushed up flake food.

·
Banned
316 Posts
You probably need to switch to live rots. The larvae don't react well to dead food since they instinctively cue in on movement. If the movement isn't right they won't go for it.

I'm currently working on methods to induce spawning in some of the more popular snails in the hobby. Obviously, the intent is to eventually culture them on a consistent basis. I might even try my hand with clams. So far, though, no astounding success to report.

Seahorses are about all I can claim I've successfully bred so far (at least intentionally).

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
just being curious.. how big are the baby SH's... and do the other fish eat em... do you have to remove the babys out and stick em in another tank

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
just being curious.. how big are the baby SH's... and do the other fish eat em... do you have to remove the babys out and stick em in another tank
I take it you are talking about the seahorse Sara, I have to remove them , nothing eats them , but I have to have them is a set up for feeding and to keep them from snicking air. They are pretty small, but not as small as the clown fish fry when first hatched

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Jerel, Ok we are having regular supply of eggs, We hatch then in a nusery and for some reason are failing, Is it we are overfeeding, They all seem to swim in circle before they go down, The nursery is connected to the main tank, Don't know how much to feed, any and all advice will help, thanks Vince

·
Registered
294 Posts
How old do Gold stripes have to be before mating?

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Tell us about your breeding stories!
successful ones and bad one..
Tried to keep a batch of flase percs, but only got them to live 3 days w/o rots. Now there are too many fish in the tank so no more babies. :(

How old do Gold stripes have to be before mating?
Not sure, but a few years at least

·
Beanieboy
432 Posts
Eggs

my tomato clown has laid eggs, how hard is it to get them to survive? not much experience at it, i understand it is not easy.

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Never actually had my clowns to lay eggs yet(to young) but I recommend the green water method. This a dedicated tank for the fry and copepods...green is phytoplankton for copepod food and copepods=clown fry food.(i came upon this info when search of copepod culturing)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bangai babies

Hi all! It was a huge surprise about 4 weeks ago to notice our Benggai's jaws swelling. At that time the tank was only 4 months old and the Benggai probably not that much older. Some research told us what was going on so we kept careful watch. After bigger and bigger cheeks and no food ingested for the month we could see the babies trying to get out and him trying to keep them in. By lights out he was winning that battle but by the time we got home the next evening, sure enough his cheeks were back to normal and we spotted 3 and then a 4th little one. Not exactly planning on breeding they are in the main tank and figured let nature take it's course. We're not home during the day so can't feed them all day. Day 2 - at least 1 made it through the last 24 hours and took both the re-constituted and the frozen copepods. Shall see how long before they brew another batch. No luck uploading a picture - upload keeps failing :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts