The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any good information on breeding coral banded shrimp? One of my mated pair is carrying a sack of eggs now and I would like to try to raise them. I Know it is difficult.
(I already know I have to put them in a tank without pumps or filtration, just airbubbles.)

I need to know the gestastion period
What to feed them
and any other helpful hints that will work.

Thank you

·
Registered
723 Posts
Everything I have read is that they are nearly impossible to do in captivity but some things I have read said you can have success. Here is one article I found. Maybe it will help you out.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/feature.htm

I know its a different shrimp but they all look pretty complicated :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Breeding Coral Banded Shrimp

Aprils book and the article recommended are good guides, however coral banded shrimp unlike peppermint shrimp hatch smaller (and many more 1500<3000 per spawning). Broodstock can be kept in a reef tank (perfect in my 60L tank) but circulation and internal pumps need to be tured off on hatching/ release night. Larvae are phototaxic and collected easily by airlift (go gentle) theyre fragile. Survival has been abissmal for me, I've had 50% make it as far as four days post hatch, none to day five. Raising these shrimp is possible but not for the beginer, they'll make an a proffesional curse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts