The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

My wife and I are starting up a new tank its a 30 gallon tank so it would be considered a nano reef by some. Anyway I guess the main question is when should we add the live rock and sand to the tank to start the cycling. After the salinity is correct. Should we just mix the water then throw it in there? I have some exp with saltwater but used coral skeletons then and that was like 3000 years ago.

Thanks,
Tory & Dawn:confused:

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Semper Fi brother!!

Firstly, is the tank new or used? If it's used, has it been treated with copper?

Once you have the propper salinity, dump it in the tank and get the temp correct... Once that is done, get some LR... Uncured LR is better for the tank to help it get cycled... If you use cured LR, throw in a couple small prawns or a small cocktail shrimp to feed the bacteria and get the cycle going...

And welcome to TRT!!!!

Doug1 is another Jarhead running around here...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am certainly not the expert, but I am pretty confident the answer will be to put them in from the beginning. They will cycle the tank without stressing animal life. A little bit of food will also help the process.

·
Registered
790 Posts
-30-35lbs of Live Rock
-3-4" Live Sand Bed
-Good Skimmer
-Lights (VHO,MH,PC)
-Heater
-Hydrometer (to check the Salinity)
-Do you plan on making it a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) tank or a reef tank ?
-and finaly LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of patience... :D

and welcome....

-Paul

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
You guys forgot the most important part!

Welcome to TRT!!!

Ok, now that that's out of the way...

Mix your saltwater and let it sit about 24 hours before putting it in the tank. RO or RO/DI water is the best option to minimize phosphates, silicates, and any other contaminants.

The order I recommend: Dry sand, live sand if you've got some (only need about a cup of it), then pre-mixed salt water (veeerrrry slowly to minimize the sandstorm) and rock. (Do this all at one time.)

Add one raw cocktail shrimp, pour some margaritas, sit back, and let the tank sit for about 4 weeks. Check the rock every so often, and every time you do, you'll find new, cool things coming out of it.

Welcome to the insanity! :funny:
Danielle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the help so far Im still along way from where i wanna be but with help from people like you Im well on my way

Semper Fi Buzz

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
ahh jeesh not another jarhead :rolleyes: :funny:

welcome to trt tory!!!

it's a great place, even if it is getting overrun by guys with funny haircuts, that dont know how to rol lthier sleeves properly :funny: (i'm former army ranger :p )

·
1,262 Posts
Geez.... look who's talking about rolling sleeves... The only time a Marine flips the edge over to make things pretty is on a properly made rack.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
ever see a tree with leaves turned inside out? didn't think so! ;) :funny:

·
1,262 Posts
hahahaha.... or a tree with bare forearms???

Silly Jay, only a Ranger would walk into the woods with rolled up sleeves.... screaming out, "Follow Me".... ;)

Now, this is how camoflage is done....

·
1,262 Posts
No, US Marines... but there's Corpsman behind me.... then again, we're all Navy anyways... Some of us don't have to wear the Cracker Jack suit though.... ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts