1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving Open Brain higher up

Hi Everyone,
<O:p> </O:p>
I have an open brain resting on the sand bottom. I also have a pesky pistol shrimp that likes to move the sand and cover the brain. I want to place the coral a little higher up onto the rocks. I have had the brain for about 2 months. Will it thrive on a rocky surface? It gets good flow and plenty of light up there.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
Any thoughts, besides getting rid of the shrimp<O:p></O:p>

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Welcome to TRT topper, you came to the right place! the open brains actually prefer the sand bottom as a place to hang out. Rocks can sometimes impead or even cut them as they open up. if there is a way you can move him into an open part of the sandbed away from the rocks where the shrimp will not be as much of a problem, that would be best. if you do move him up into the rocks make sure it has a wide flat surface with nothing crowding it on the sides.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t have much room in my tank. I found a nice hole the rocks I can stick him in. It looks like it is clear on all sides. It that the main reason people don’t place brains on the live rock because fear of damaging the tissue?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
yup, plus they actually prefer lower light than most of the other corals. As long as he is not getting buried the sand won't be a big problem. he will move it off himself. How big is the tank and what lighting do you have?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts