The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one try this or have any luck to treat brown jelly?
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>Reef Dip

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
Safely & gently disinfects corals by utilizing elemental iodine complexed to a protective slime coat. Effective against bacteria, fungus, and protozoan infections with a low risk of toxicity to your corals. Use prophylactically (without evidence of disease) or to remedy diseased specimens. Safe for use with both stony and soft corals as well as anemones and polyps.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or anyone know of a reefsafe antibacterial I can find?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I am trying the antibiotic route. Also read that any time treating bacteria to up the air flow so I added a powerhead. I use a medicine dropper(similar to turkey baster but smaller) and keep blowing the stuff off. Considering how much tissue was lost yesterday and doesn't seem to be any new decay tonight I'm feeling just a little bit optimistic! I fed it some brine hatchlings today and it closed up on them(At least its eating). I'll keep you all posted.

·
Administrator
46,681 Posts
Jena, if you are using antibiotics or any other treatment, ie Iodine dips or some of the other SPS treatments you want to set up at least a meager Q tank or dipping container, dont add a lot of stuff to your display tank
Bad things can happen

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got this guy in qt tank. No more new corals going in the display. See I'm learning!

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
I actually use this stuff all the time...mainly for new additions, and fraggin.

Stuff works really good. Do NOT add it to the tank though! hahaha

Just take your brain out, put it in a bucket with some water from the tank. Add the recommended amount for the amount of water you have the brain in....wait about 5 minutes, then rinse the brain off in ANOTHER bucket w/water from the tank. Then put him back.

This is a great product to use when adding new corals to the tank. During aclimation...when you got about 5 -10 minutes left...add some to the aclimation water and rinse, then place your new corals. Good way to help reduce the number of pest/hitchickers when adding new corals.

Also, when fraggin corals, it's a great way to help the frag's avoid infection. Place your frags in a bucket with some of this, and your chances of success go way up!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after 3 days of meds there appears to be no more tissue loss and no more jelly stuff coming off. This antibiotic says to use for 7 days. Do I keep treating and then do a water change or should I do a waterchange now? Do I keep the coral in qt for 4 weeks or will it be okay to move after the 7 days?

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Just take your brain out, put it in a bucket with some water from the tank. Add the recommended amount for the amount of water you have the brain in....wait about 5 minutes, then rinse the brain off in ANOTHER bucket w/water from the tank. Then put him back.
But... that would mess up my hair and i don't do very well without my brain :doh:

I have only used lugols solution before. I have never been able to save more that a head or two when brown jelly hit.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is an open brain. No obvious heads but two mouths. Doesn't seem to be getting worse so fingers are crossed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts