The Reef Tank banner

Brain and Candy Cane

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  parnapy4 
#1 ·
I recently bought a small frag of a Brain and Candy Cane corals( both about one inch) these are my first LPS and i was hoping for some experience about the best environment for them to grow. I have 4x65W PC's on a 29 gallon tank. nit's and ammonia 0, calcium is 450, salinity 1.024, and right now it is just a reef tank with hermits, astreas, and 2 peppermint shrimp. I have the brain placed on a rock about half way up and the candy cane a few inches higher. i have heard that brains like it in the sand, is this true or does it matter? Also, how often and when is the best time to spot feed them? Open for any advice, im new to LPS.

#2 ·
brains like the sand because, in aquaria, they're often knocked off the rock and land face-down (which can cause serious to fatal damage). they're also relatively low light, so placing them high is often unnecessary. I have never target-fed my LPS corals (or any corals, to be honest), they'll grow well with good light and great water quality. I dare say you're lighting is on the low side in terms of useful output for coral growth, so you may consider upgrading to something with more punch (T5 setup with individual parabolic bulb reflectors would be a start).

#4 ·
i might try moving my brain down and see if it likes it better in the sand, it is still pretty small so i am worried about it getting knocked around. It has fallend a couple times but he is still doing alright. I know they like medium lighting, but do you think it will be enough at the bottom of a 29 with my lighting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.