The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on maintaining a brackish water tank? It's 36 gal. 2 large and 3 dwarf puffers and a gold dust moray eel. We have 7 coral skelton rocks which are growing green algae on them, and 4 plastic plants and LED lighting. We've raised the salinty to 1.012. Is was at 1.010 when we started the tank two months ago. We have three hang on filters and one that came with the 36 gal. tank (power filter). And out of the three, one of them we make a ammo chip/charcoal/pantyhose deal. And one bio wheel - which after reading your forum, we've removed it and replaced it with another pantyhose deal.
We're getting a protein skimmer this weekend. I know this is SW forum, but it is REALLY helpful if any of you all have any suggestions about anything, I really respect this forum. We also have two 60 :fish:gallon air pumps pushing four air stones. Thanks in advance for your help. We're hoping to have a SW tank in the future, just now getting our feet wet. Had a phosphate problem, but didn't know we had one, thanks to a SW enthuiast, so I am looking forward to your replies.

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
welcome to the reef tank. i personally don't know about brackish water i have a fw and sw but i'm sure someone will know some thing to help. sw is great when you decide to do one read alot and ask alot of questions i wish i did when i started mine wouldnt have wasted so much time and money

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
There is a point where protein skimmers get less efficient as SG drops. I would be less concerned about the biowheels in your set up than in a reeftank. We avoid biowheels because they process ammonia to nitrate and no farther. In a reeftank there is plenty of liverock to process ammonia all the way to nitrogen gas and leave the tank. Fish in general tolerate nitrates much better than coral. Brackish fish are especially tolerant critters.

It does seem like a pretty heavy bioload for a 36 though, how big are your fish?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, PatfromNC!

Jenglish - the 2 puffers, the larger ones, are about 4inches each and the dwarfs (3 of them) are an inch each. The eel is about 8 inches and lives inside the fake reef fixture we've got. What are SG drops? We have Phosbuster which when we intially had a really bad istance of what we like to call "Smirnoff" tank, it fixed it in a jiffy and we haven't had it since. Is that what SG drops are?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Sorry, SG is shorthand for specific gravity, a measure of how much salt is in the water. I was saying that A saltwater skimmer doesn't work well in pure freshwater, as the water gets less salty it gets less efficient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts