The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted to get a longhorn boxfish because they are such cool fish but know that when they croak/get stressed they release a toxin into the water that is deadly not only to themselves but to the other tank inhabitants, has or does anyone own one of these interesting fish?????

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
The ones that are real toxic are the blue ones from HI. They stress easy and yes could wipe out your tank if left in there after it died.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've had one now for a couple months. Pretty cool fish. I think as long as all the other fish are peaceful it shouldn't be a problem. I think you also should make sure there are plenty of areas for it to get out of the current and hide if needed. Mine is in with 2 black clowns, 2 true perculas, 3 green chromis and a blue tang. The tang is really small right now 2" +/-. I'd heard and read that the cowfish can be risky in with the other fish, but I think everyone is pretty peacefull right now so none of the other fish should stress it. If the cowfish ever looks sick though he'll get pulled out and put into the QT.

I think the tank is a little overstocked in that the longhorn cowfish and blue tang will both reach over 12", but for now it's an ok situation. (It also works for future leverage to get a bigger tank....but, but, honey, your fish just aren't happy in the 180 anymore...we need a bigger tank :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 125, how large can/do they get in tanks? I know they can get up to 24" in the wild.

·
Registered
117 Posts
They can get rather large, I think the biggest one I've scene was about 9'', really cute and friendly. I haven't heard of these being a problem, as long as you put them in w/ friendly fish :)

·
I got brains!!
1,523 Posts
let me know if that works out and then I can see if it will work with my wife :funny:

If I remember right I thought I heard your wife yesterday say yes dear to to the bigger tank :) :dance:
HermitSolo said:
(It also works for future leverage to get a bigger tank....but, but, honey, your fish just aren't happy in the 180 anymore...we need a bigger tank :)

·
No frags for you!
948 Posts
I know a co-worker used to keep them when he had a FO saltwater setup. Never really had problem with them from what I hear. I think the key is making sure it's got an environment where it doesn't feel stressed all the time and nothing's going to pick on it constantly.

They are really cool looking fish.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I am going to get one then, I have always been under the impression from the LFS and reading from other sources that they were a gamble to have in a tank, not saying that there still isnt any risk but i think it would be worth it, all I currently have in the tank is a maroon clown hosting in a gbta, a brown/red scooter blenny, and 3 pajama cardinalfish, I may get a blue or yellow tang in the future... thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
it will be enough for a while.... but as previously stated they can easily grow to be 12" or better.

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
eswebster said:
6' 125gal enough you think?????
It should. At least for a few years. It also depends on your rockwork/aquascaping.

Are you getting it pretty tiny? I know they sell some that are about the size of a quarter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would not be getting it for a month or so but am just thinking of what fish to get so that everyone gets along, i am thinking that i will probably get one about 2-3".

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the cow/longhorn ones the best, they are just so different looking, plus I just think that having one of the HI one's would make me feel like I have a ticking timebomb in my tank..... a fish with horns just odd!!!

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Depending on how big the maroon clown is. I hear they get grumpy as they get bigger (as with most clownfish)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
he is about 3" i would say, he is fine as long as the others stay away from his anemone...... really not bad at all just swims towards them until they get away.... no nipping or anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts