The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS I join the mob of house purchasing fanatics . . . . .

I am moving everything remaining (IE live rock clean up crew and remnants of corals) into a 36 bow. For temporary keeping. Figure is is going to be much easier moving the 36 than tearing down a full fledged 90 sps tank. Plus where the corals were broken off the rock, hopefully I will have them grow out.

My dilemma, building a hood for this beast. It will have dual 400w radiums and a 1/5hp chiller. How do you recommend doing the bow part? I was thinking of measuring the bow and using some 1/4" ply wood or such to bend around the curve and screw it into place. Any better ideas? The hood will be painted black when we are all done, and the inside brite white.

So i guess I am looking for fabrication ideas, links and what not!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Stoney... I have a 46 bow that will eventually need a hood (if I can't talk the othe half into a upsize while still in the apartment).
I plan on tracing the shape of the bow and making solid supports to this shape. Then I'm going to take plywood and cut kerfs every 1/2 to 1" to get it to bend to fit the form.
I found a guy online once that makes these hoods for mucho$$$$$, but he actually bends the wood, using H2O, so you can actually cut a door out of it if you wish.
Not much help I know, but I think that the kerf idea will work.

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
There are several ways to do this and all are time consuming.
If you had access to a table saw, jointer, band saw it would be eaiser to make:

1. using a 2x6 trace out the "bow" on to this (laying the tank on top) , make sure on the "flat" it's even across the back (use two pieces). Cut out the bow. You can use this as a "kual" (frame) to glue up thin pieces of 1/8" thick material for the top and bottom frames. lay each piece on top of another using a water proof glue clamp up and let dry. this will keep the "form" or "bow" after it's dried. figure out your angles, cut, make stiles (sides) and finish off your frame.

or

use these as the frames (top and bottom). use 1x2 to frame out the back and sides. then cover with 1/4" or 1/2" or what ever wood of your choice. for the top a piece of 1/2" ply cut to tfhe shape of the frame. You can hinge it to lift up. don't forget to leave some extra material for the "overhang" all around the tank. you can do the kerf method (as mentioned) for the doors, then glue up the kerfs with a water proof glue, finish off the edges or leave as is.

hth

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
another option would be to create a laminate using really thin sheets of wook. you can bend a sheet around a form/tank then glue another sheet of the same stuff to the bent sheet. clamp it overnight. repeat until the desired thickness.

just another option.

G~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts