The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the world of reefing and have just bought all required materials to start my cycling process. I have a 20 gallon L tank and bought 20 lbs. of live sand and 21 lbs. of cured live rock, as well as 2 power heads, D-D H2Ocean Pro + sea salt, hydro/thermometer, test kit, and heater. However, I do not have a container large enough to mix all of the 20 gallons of water with the sea salt.

-Currently I have the live rock in a 5 gal. bucket with sea water in it (my LFS said i can keep it there for 1-3 days).

How long do I have to wait before I can add the live rock to the newly made saltwater? (LFS said wait 1 day?)

-I bought Caribsea Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand and the directions tell me to add the sand to the bottom of the tank before putting in the salt water.

How long do I have to wait before I can add the newly mixed saltwater to the tank w/ the live sand bed? Or, can I just lay down the bed of live sand and then pour 20 gallons of Reversed Osmosis water + sea salt and turn on the power heads to mix the water in the presence of the live sand?

I really appreciate your time, thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to TRT!
You can immediatly add the saltwater to the tank once your bed is laid down.
As for the live rock, I put it in after about a day and a half of the tank running. I wanted everything to "settle". Also, it is alot easier to see what your doing when the tank is clearer as it will get pretty cloudy right away. Hope this helps, and good luck! Do not be afraid to ask any questions along your way.

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
if you need to, mix up a few smaller batches of saltwater, if it takes you a few days till you can get enough water in the tank to put the rock in all just on the bottom thats fine, you really want to mix up the saltwater before adding it to anything live, but as long as the rock and sand is submerged they will be fine
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the response guys! just going to be patient and allow saltwater to mix for a 24 hours or so. Maybe planning to add sand a couple hours earlier to allow particles to settle before adding the LR. thanks again!!

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
add sand when its just a little bit of water so you dont end up with lots of cloudy water, than put a plate in to pour on so you dont end up with a sandstorm, helps a bit with the settling
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

1 - 5 of 5 Posts