The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, i just bought a used reef tank the about 3 months ago now. i have been having some major problems with getting a stable enviroment. my set-up is as follows.

Exact paramiters
PH=8.4
Nitrates=3.0
Phosphates+3.00 from hagen test 2.5 from Milwaukee digital test
Calcium=500 mg/ per litre
Salidity=1.022
Alchalinity=16 k/h
Temp 78-79

Stocking
1xBlue Tang
2x Clown fish
1x potters angel fish, 1x Flame Angel fish
4x Reef Chromis, 1x Blue Reef Cromis
1x Reef Lobster, 1xCrab( Don't know breed of crab)
1xFlame Scallop
3x Begai Cardinals
1xLongspine sea urchin
1xPorkipine sea urchin
1x6-line rasp
1xhawk fish
3xpink soft coral
large 3 foot carpet anemone
green brain
reef lettuce, assorted mushrooms
Misc frags, handfull of snails and hermitt crabs.

Equipment
110 gallon tank
30 gallon sump
Aquapure Nitrate Filter(medium size)
Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 550
CoralLife super skimmer 125
2x 250 watt, 14,000 k MH hexarc bulbs
3x Power heads
Large serperate hangon Refugium

1/8 cup, Feeding Every Other day with rinsed Krill mix with tap water with prime conditioner.

Acclimation Proccess
Bought tank already stocked.

Nuisance algae
Brown Alge all over live rock, sand and back of the tank.
Little Bright green alge on glass, little pink alge in refugium

What has/have you changed recently
Bought tank already stocked and going.
I added the phosban reactor and nitrate filter(Vodka dosing)
Water source
Tap Water, with Prime Conditioner

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
I second what xfactor said when I was using tap with prime I had all kinds of algae I got a specturapure ro/di and in less then 3 months with water changes most of the algae is gone I still have a little hair algae

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
lol looks like we all posted at the same time. check out the specturapure site they have a nice 90 gpd refurb unit for around 130 there all new filters never been used

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
at this moment the high phosphates are my biggest worry. Any advice to get the levels down? Also my sand is pretty yucky looking the bottom layer is nice and white and the top 3inches of sand is rainbow coloured

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
you might try siphoning a bit of the sand out with each water change. once you get it all out, id suggest replacing it with a shallow bed of no more than an inch. it will be much easier to keep clean. right now, you are in the deep sand bed range of depth, and it may be that it is getting near the end of its useful life. deep sand beds eventually "fill up" and need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
siphon off as much clean water as you can into a container.
pull all LR out of the tank, disturbing the substrate as little as possible, place on towels. do not worry, the LR will be fine out of the water for several hours.
catch the other critters and put them in buckets. with some of the clean removed water.
use a shop vac for pulling out all of the sand.

normally i would say run the tank BB for a while to get the LR to purge itself of phosphates, but the critters you have will do better with a substrate, so you are going to have an uphill battle with the phosphates coming from the LR. just make sure you have good flow into the tank.

put new sand in. then the LR, put as much of the old clean water in as possible, then top off using new salt water. wait for temp to stabilize. the add the critters back in. depending on the containers for the critters, a small powerhead in with them may be a good idea to keep the water from dropping in oxygen content with all of the critters in there while this whole process is going on.

it is about the same process you used to move the tank.

G~

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
yep. though if you are really worried about it, then put them in some of the tank water with a powerhead, but i would leave my corals out all of the time for several hours. the anemone is going to be pissed for a few days, but it will get over it if you are not able to find something to keep it in that is that large.

G~

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
yep, nutrient problem. :D

i fixed the image, so that it would show. i hope you do not mind. TRT has a Gallery for hosting pictures. the link is at the very top of the banner under Gallery. we prefer people to use this so that in the future the pictures will still be there is somebody finds the thread.

G~

1 - 20 of 49 Posts