The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a piece of live rock covered in coralline algae to kickstart my cycle and when I came home after careful inspection I found at leat 4 -5 tiny sea stars in all the nooks and crannies. They look like brittle stars but I'm not sure. What should I do? Are the harmful for my new tank? Is my non-cycled tank harmful to them??

I uploaded a video on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/AxPna9SaF1A

·
Sponge
2,333 Posts
The way o look at it is if you buy live rock most likely you will find some kind of critter in it. It's impossible to say if they will survive or not and I doubt removing them would be successful. It happens. If they live, great, if not, then they don't. That sounds cruel but when cycling with live rock that's a part of it

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But if they die and rot wouldn't that prolonge the cycle? I got two of them out and both are missing legs and they're def. green.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I left the rock in a 50/50 mix of my and the stores water. After 1 hour all stars came out of the rock plus one worm like creature. Looks like a maggot with tiny hairs. I tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates and it's all zero even though I put my water in it. So the rock eliminated the ammonia that was in my water therefore it can't be the reason why they came crawling out. My salinity is slightly higher. That might have caused it. I can count 7 stars total. 6 are green/grey and one is brown/green. Some don't move though. Maybe the other guy was right and there are toxins in my water? I def don't want to keep the green ones because I read that they like to nibble on fish once they're bigger.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Did you have any water movement? Could've been a lack of oxygen chasing them out. Green ones are pretty large and I don't think I've heard of of one being a hitchhiker since I've been on here. They're likely just little micro brittle stars. If you had water movement and they were still chased out, then it could be something wrong with your water...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No water movement. I hope I didn't kill the bacteria on the rock... If something's wrong with my water wouldn't the corals show something?

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
It seems like the corals would show first.
How are the stars?
Did you add the water slowly, stars need to be acclimated slowly sudden pH or salinity changes are not good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They don't really move. two of them seem alive but lethargic. I added them to a 50/50 mix and today I added a little more of my water. I don't really know if they're good or bad. I read about brittle stars eating fish. The rock is already in my tank and when I tested for ammonia today it went down from 0.50-1.00 to 0.25 over night. The hammer is growing a third head now. It's gotten really big and the GSP thrive as well. They really like the new light so I don't think my water is poisoned. But I also started running carbon again. So who knows. I'm not sure if I should add the brittle stars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts