The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i wanted to get some input from others on candy cane corals. Most LPS have tended to be lower light corals. i have not had much luck with them under the MH i use on my main tank. The odd one out seems to be candy canes which have thrived under the high light and pristine water and died under low light. anyone else notice this?

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
My candy cane loves the 250w MH i blast it with. This coral grows so fast under MH i frag it almost montly.

My acan, favia, and frogspawns took some acclimating. The frogspawns do well now and it took a little over a month for the acan to adapt. The favia is still a bit bleached.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
My Candy Cane is fairly new so I don't know what "thriving' should look like. Right now it's about halfway down in the tank under MH's and I just look for "puffiness" I guess you'd call it,with no skeleton showing and tenticles in the morning. All but one of the heads are like this. The other one shows minor skeleton and is slightly in a shadow. Can someone post a picture of a healthy one for me?;)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I got a CC about 5 months a go and it was very small, the red part was, since then it looks a lot more full and the center now is green but it is still just one head; there is another dead head next to it and also 2 small strings about the size of a small nail. Could these be new heads growing?
I only have PC, 130w.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
whatevva said:
My Candy Cane is fairly new so I don't know what "thriving' should look like. Right now it's about halfway down in the tank under MH's and I just look for "puffiness" I guess you'd call it,with no skeleton showing and tenticles in the morning. All but one of the heads are like this. The other one shows minor skeleton and is slightly in a shadow. Can someone post a picture of a healthy one for me?;)
Heres a few pics of mine.

Shortley after being fed

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
How does the candy cane reproduces?
I have a frag with one head and recently 2 small tubes appeared, they are still very small so I can't tell what they are, I though they were small feather dusters.

·
Registered
436 Posts
They branch out new heads...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
My candy cane looked like crap under my 192w PCs. I took it and traded it for my anemone that got sucked into the powerhead =\

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I have had good luck with mine under 250W MH's as well! Mostly mid level in the tank!

I will get some pics tomorrow! Remind me!:funny: (seriously)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts